Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fraz's Budget Build - '96 XJ Cherokee Sport

Visitor

I love the low buck projects and the XJs are a great base

Visitor

Managed to get some more work done to this over the last couple of days. Have rego coming up shortly so needed to get rid of all the oil leaks. Replaced the sump gasket and rear-main seal, although I have a horrible suspicion that the front main seal is either on its way out or already gone. Lots of crud behind the harmonic balancer, along with coolant dripping from somewhere.

Anyway, back to the rear end to finish what I previously started:

Made up a couple of bump-stop spacers for the rear end at work. Had some spare 50x75mm RHS at work that was 2.5mm thick. Originally started making them from 50x65mmx1.5, but decided they wouldn't be strong enough. These should allow me to run a 4" patrol rear shock without bottoming out the shock, which allows me time to upgrade as more parts turn up. This should also hopefully stop the 31's from scrubbing, although I may be getting 32's or 33's soon, just have to wait and see.

Also ordered RE extended shackles from Wooders, and bought the 6" coils and shackle relocation brackets off Tuffeb on AJOR. Looking forward to it all turning up so I can test it on the trails.

Anyway, photo time!

Bump-stop spacer - 75mm spacing-

Bump-stops bolted to the bracket using M14x1.5 flange nuts and high tensile bolts-

Bolted together-

Comparison of old clearance to new clearance-

While I was at it, I also made up a Brake-line relocation bracket. This can be straightened out to further space the brake line down if need be, but should be fine for the time being.

Regarxing the bumpstop spacer, I'd recommend welding a rectangular bit in the middle to prevent it flattening out under impact.
    Also if you want a neater solution for the handbrake line, id use 2x rhs line from the later model.
    Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wooders; 05-02-14 at 05:19 PM.

Visitor

I did think about strengthening the bracket further, but decided against simply because it's sitting a lot lower at the moment than it will in the near future. Cheers for the heads up about the handbrake cables too, will keep that in mind.

Visitor

Finally got around to fitting up the snorkel. Pretty simple install as long as you line the template up correctly :% Came up looking pretty good though, and passed the air-tight test (hand over intake pipe) so I know it's waterproof.

Hasn't made any change to economy that I can see, although engine temps are slightly lower at cruise (60km/h+) and power seems to be a little better above 80.

As I had to remove the original washer bottle, what have people used as replacements? I'm not afraid to modify the original washer bottle if need be, however would like something with 3 washer pumps so I can set up a radiator spray.

Will also be pulling apart the cooling system (again) to replace the thermostat housing and thermostat, but not before some new fun-bits arrive at work.

Visitor

So it's been a while since I've been on here, or even active as a club member. For a while I had a 76 Series Landcruiser as my main car, but the black jeep has always been around. A few things forced me to let the registration lapse on the black jeep, however it's always been there waiting to get back on the road. Late last year a friend was selling their XJ Cherokee, and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Same age as mine (96 model), but was a limited with all the features. Leather trim, electric seats, cruise control, the works. Anyway, I bought it, put some rego on it and set about transferring all the parts from the old black Sport into the blue Limited.

First up was Drivetrain, which took around 6 months of on-again off-again work to swap. The Sport had a completely new cooling and belt system, and the motor was a lot stronger with less kms. While the motors were out, I got hold of a late-model TJ intake manifold and a new set of exhaust headers, so fitted them up. Motor in, drove the car around for a few weeks, then started to get stuck into it.

Fitted the lift kit from the old Sport, albeit with a couple of changes. Kept the short-arm and drop-box combo because it rode perfectly at 3", but swapped the coils for some 4" coils instead. Also fitted a 1.5" bump-stop spacer to the diff as well as the 1" extended poly bump-stops so that it's all working properly when the new shocks turn up. Rear suspension was the same Lovell's Leafs, but with a set of extended shackles thrown in too. The car sits at a perfect 4" front and 4.5" rear, exactly how I wanted it set up. Also ditched the rear sway-bar while fitting the lift, as it wasn't needed with the heavier leaf springs. Also installed the Hyline Off-road hood louvre kit I bought probably 12 months ago, just to help a little when off-road and towing.

After all that, took the old girl out on Thursday night for some fun. Following a mate with his 4" patrol on 35's, the XJ didn't miss a beat. The only thing that held me up was the highway tyres compared to his muddies. So a set of 31's are in order I think.

Anyway, that's all for now. Will be updating a bit more as it goes, and hopefully see you guys out on the tracks again.

That flex!!! You still at The Ultimate Suspension?? That's good advertising for the business lol
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by fraz View Post
    So it's been a while since I've been on here, or even active as a club member. For a while I had a 76 Series Landcruiser as my main car, but the black jeep has always been around. A few things forced me to let the registration lapse on the black jeep, however it's always been there waiting to get back on the road. Late last year a friend was selling their XJ Cherokee, and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Same age as mine (96 model), but was a limited with all the features. Leather trim, electric seats, cruise control, the works. Anyway, I bought it, put some rego on it and set about transferring all the parts from the old black Sport into the blue Limited.

First up was Drivetrain, which took around 6 months of on-again off-again work to swap. The Sport had a completely new cooling and belt system, and the motor was a lot stronger with less kms. While the motors were out, I got hold of a late-model TJ intake manifold and a new set of exhaust headers, so fitted them up. Motor in, drove the car around for a few weeks, then started to get stuck into it.

Fitted the lift kit from the old Sport, albeit with a couple of changes. Kept the short-arm and drop-box combo because it rode perfectly at 3", but swapped the coils for some 4" coils instead. Also fitted a 1.5" bump-stop spacer to the diff as well as the 1" extended poly bump-stops so that it's all working properly when the new shocks turn up. Rear suspension was the same Lovell's Leafs, but with a set of extended shackles thrown in too. The car sits at a perfect 4" front and 4.5" rear, exactly how I wanted it set up. Also ditched the rear sway-bar while fitting the lift, as it wasn't needed with the heavier leaf springs. Also installed the Hyline Off-road hood louvre kit I bought probably 12 months ago, just to help a little when off-road and towing.

After all that, took the old girl out on Thursday night for some fun. Following a mate with his 4" patrol on 35's, the XJ didn't miss a beat. The only thing that held me up was the highway tyres compared to his muddies. So a set of 31's are in order I think.

Anyway, that's all for now. Will be updating a bit more as it goes, and hopefully see you guys out on the tracks again.
    I see shoving coils back in at the side of the track in your future

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Elio S View Post
    That flex!!! You still at The Ultimate Suspension?? That's good advertising for the business lol
    Hey mate, no longer at Ultimate, but still using all the knowledge I gained there. Now working at Heasman Steering as it's a lot closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    I see shoving coils back in at the side of the track in your future
    Hopefully not haha, there's about 1.5" of bump-stop mount holding the coil in, plus the length of the bumpstops. Then there's the factory coil-retainers on the diff I may or may not have ordered a set of 6" Raised Bilsteins at work, which work out to about 4" longer extended than current shocks in the front (720mm vs. 670mm), and longer for the rear (700mm vs. 645mm). Just need to get the leafs working a little better, so may pull a leaf out and give it a little more camber at work. Will have to wait and see

Those retainers don't last long with lots of flex and spring movement. Both of bent up and were useless.

Cheers
    Steve

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Public Officer - Member #076