Thread: Looking at getting a roof rack for the REDRUBI!

Question Looking at getting a roof rack for the REDRUBI!

G-Day All you JEEPING Nuts,

We are looking at getting a roof rack for the JEEP (2 dr SOFT TOP JK)! Was looking at the UNEEK, has anyone got any input on this subject ie: brands/makes, pros/cons even HORROR stories?

Cheers

Andy & Charl

Visitor

I don't have a roof rack but have been looking at them for a while. I think before Dave at Uneek designed his rack Gobi were rated as one of the best, if not the best, of the cage style racks. They're certainly not the cheapest though. Costs an arm and a leg! Dave's gear is generally good. I think he's styled the rack well to suit the JK and it's not extortionately priced. I think if I were to get one then it'd be the Uneek one. It's also a local product so should you have any issues it's easier to sort them out.

MBRP get good write ups but they require drilling the hard top. Another alternative is the Out 4x4 system. It also requires drilling of the hard top and has an internal support structure but it is fairly unique (not Uneek!) in that it then accepts standard roof bars/cages. If you take the bars off (a lot easier than taking a full cage rack off and a lot easier to store) then you are left with minimal evidence that the rack was ever there meaning you're not increasing your fuel consumption, listening to even more wind noise from the rack, and you can still fit in normal height car parks. It seems to be quite a well thought out system. Only bug bear as far as I can see is you need to drill the hard top. Both the MBRP & Out 4x4 only work with the hard top though. Not an issue for me as that's all I ever use but if you're partial to a little topless driving then it won't work for you.

There's also a guy over in Perth making racks as well. He gets on AJOR a bit. He calls his Sharpwrax. With the amount of R&D he put into them they ought to be good. They are compatible with hard and soft tops but I think the hard top brackets still need to be drilled through the top. I think he has a few options as to what size of rack you can (smaller bikini racks or full length racks) but I recall they're quit pricey.

My money would still be on Uneek I think but there are a few options.

Visitor

The Uneek racks are great. We've sold and installed a few now. They fit well and are strong. Alloy cage saves on weight too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stJeep View Post
    The Uneek racks are great. We've sold and installed a few now. They fit well and are strong. Alloy cage saves on weight too.
    Cheers Mate!

What price am I looking at

Any pics??

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by redrubi View Post
    Cheers Mate!

What price am I looking at

Any pics??
    The 2 Door racks are around $2050 depending on the rear bar plus fitting, options such as ladders etc are available as well.

Visitor

http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/jk-wrangl...f-rack-2-door/

give us a call at Shents Automotive 4305 0861

Quote Originally Posted by 1stJeep View Post
    The 2 Door racks are around $2050 depending on the rear bar plus fitting, options such as ladders etc are available as well.
    Already have an ARB rear bar! Just rack?? $$$

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by redrubi View Post
    Already have an ARB rear bar! Just rack?? $$$
    $1720 plus install.