Thread: Road worthy certificate

Visitor

Default Road worthy certificate

Hi guys & gals,
    I'm new to the forum and to Sydney. Pretty stoked to see all the modified jeeps driving around. Being originally from Queensland I'm in the process of transferring my registration to NSW. Have a couple questions that I'm hoping you could help me with.
    Firstly, I have a K&N open air intake kit on my 2004 Jeep Tj. It's totally secure to the jeep. The mechanic said something about it being in a box. Is this true? That would defeat the purpose of having an open air intake. (I saved the original intake just in case I need to replace it)
    Secondly, I have a 4 inch lift kit on the jeep. I knew this would be a problem due to the 2 inch ( 50mm) law. He said I need to get a modification plate for the lift. Don't know where to get this done or if it's even worth trying to get the 4 inch lift passed due to the 50 mm law. Any advice would be helpful. Thinking about biting the bullet and getting and Old Man Emu 2 inch lift from ARB (or a cheaper place if you could suggest it). Dies this 2 inch lift also need a modification plate?
    Any help you could give would be great appreciated. I would like to run 33x12.5 on the jeep hence why I want to keep as much height as possible.
    Ps. If anyone knows a good jeep mechanic I would love to know where.

Technically an open filter is a fire risk so won't pass a blue slip but will probably pass the yearly pink slip OK. 2" should get through OK but I'd just stick some stock springs and tyres on for it as again it will pass the yearly pink slip with the 4" normally.

Cheers
    Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Technically an open filter is a fire risk so won't pass a blue slip but will probably pass the yearly pink slip OK. 2" should get through OK but I'd just stick some stock springs and tyres on for it as again it will pass the yearly pink slip with the 4" normally.

Cheers
    Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Cheers. Do you need the modification plate for a 2 inch lift? Looks like I'll be changing the air filter this weekend.

You only need a mod plate if you have changed the height by more than 1/3rd of the original suspension travel - this effectively means that most Jeeps can get away with 3-4" of lift before needing to be certified. There is no 2" law in NSW.

Visitor

I know the 1/3 rule on VSI 6 modification item 13 (which to ARB and the rest of the public is the 2 " law). Went to the mechanic already for a blue slip and they didn't certify it due to the suspension lift of 4 inches. He said I needed a modification certificate. Called VSCCS and from there I started chasing my tail. If anyone knows a good mechanic that I can take my most precious toy to so I can get a blue slip that would be greatly appreciated.