Thread: New project.. Just looking for the donor JK!!

Visitor

Default New project.. Just looking for the donor JK!!

Hey guys,

Not sure where to go for what I'm looking for, so I thought I'd start here. Does anyone know where I could get hold of a JK that needs a new engine, transmission, diffs etc?? Weird request I know, but I have managed to secure a 2011 JK 2.8 crd engine and gearbox that I had planned to transplant into my XJ. Which I’m still keen to do but this seems more ambitious than I’m ready for right now. So I thought I'd try to repair a JK that was a repairable write off.

Any ideas welcomed..

Cheers, Nick

It's virtually impossible to register a repairable write off in NSW now...

Better idea is scour the salvage auctions for a rig that hasn't actually been recorded on the WOVR. But really they dont come up that often amd them they often sell for more than I'd consider a bargin.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Visitor

Thanks guys,

Miraz if you're the owner of the car at the time it is still possible (but at the discretion of an assessment panel).. My original thought was to do as Wooders suggested and try and get a damaged one that hadn't been reported yet. I may just continue to research how I could convert my xj to run the diesel instead.

Cheers

It's not that great a motor for the work that will be required.....I'm working on ripping the RA428 CRD unit out of my Jeep and swapping in a BMW N57 motor in it's place.

It's not that great a motor for the work that will be required.....I'm working on ripping the RA428 CRD unit out of my Jeep and swapping in a BMW N57 motor in it's place.

Visitor

Cheers mate - glad I hadn't committed to it yet!

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Miraz View Post
    It's virtually impossible to register a repairable write off in NSW now...
    Why is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobrent View Post
    Why is that ?
    A bunch of bureaucrats that don't understand the difference between rebuilding and rebirthing a vehicle changed the rules a couple of years ago - http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registrati..._off_vehicles/

It's one of the things that we're having a tilt at - especially the idea that any vehicle that encounters water above it's door sills is to be considered a write off...we're usually still driving them quite happily at that point!

I had a TJ that I brought private, did the REVS check it came up all clear, then when I traded on the JK the yard did a check and it came up as a repairable write off, I said that can't be right because I have owned for three years, it's been registered and fully insured. He informed me that due to the floods in QLD cars that were water damaged were being brought at auction and then sold on in NSW. But I explained that I had done the REVS check, he said that it had only changed a couple years ago, but the best bit was that even tho I was paying for full comprehensive insurance I would not be covered. Also I paid rego for three years, and pink slip and green slip nothing ever said, so go figure