Thread: TJ Tyre Options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Visitor

Welcome to world of Jeeps. Lock your credit card away before the bank asks for it back. There are way too many things to buy for Jeeps, particularly the TJ's and JK's.

I've got a friend who run AT3's on his Triton and loves them. He says they are quieter than the HT tyres that came with it and seem to be wearing well. I've only been off road with him a couple of times while he's had them but they seem to grip well, at least in the dry. Never tested them in the wet.

I've got Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-Rib on my JK. They're a more aggressive AT tyre than the AT3. I can hear some noise from them but nothing bad but I don't get the slow speed shudder from them that you get with a muddie so there still well suited to road road driving. They're wearing well so far (done just over 40,000km on them). I'll get at least 80000km out of them, more if I want to take them down to the legal limit. They grip well on road and off, even surprisingly well in the mud for an AT. I think they've been superseded by the new P3's now but I'd expect the P3's to be as good, and maybe a little quieter due to the design of tread pattern.

There are cheaper tyres around though, especially if your thinking of changing to a dedicated set of off road tyres down the track (no pun intended). Coopers or Mickey T are fairly pricey. Maxxis seem to be getting good reports lately as well as Hankook. I've had Hankook road tyres before and never had an issue with them.

Visitor

Haha thanks Paul, I shall definitely keep that in mind, the more I research the more my hand twitches for that oh so satisfying sensation of buying something on credit. Luckily I've had the will power to keep away from doing so at this stage.

I could be looking in totally the wrong places, but have found Mickey T's to be rather elusive in my area, ended up sticking with the A/T3's so far pretty happy with the everyday city performance, much better than the 60% worn super budget tyres that were on there, I must say. I did have a good look at the P3's and they would definitely have been a solid compromise for the Coopers.

Thanks so much for all your invaluable information Paul, such an excellent break down of the tyres market, was just what I was looking for.

Happy Travels,

Tim