Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TJ Tyre Options

Visitor

Question TJ Tyre Options

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2006 Wrangler TJ 60th Anniversary and joined this hear epic club. I am very new to the whole four wheel driving experience so was just curious as to what people thought in regards to tyres.

So far my little baby is stock except for a set of front and rear Bilstein Shocks and King Springs for a 2' lift, so far so good, but the tyres it came with were budget tyres so not great especially with Sydney's wet weather ATM.

Whilst I am on budget, I don't want to go cheap, am looking for 5 tyres perhaps a some All Terrains. From what I can gather from different sites, I don't mind the sound of the AT3's until I can get some extra cash together to run 2 sets of rims and tyres (strict city and strict off road).

Othher than tyres... Is there anything else I should be considering at this stage bearing in mind I am in the Northern Beaches, starting fairly easy such as Wattigans and Duffys Forest.

Cheers fellas! Happy Cruising'

"Othher than tyres... Is there anything else I should be considering at this stage bearing in mind I am in the Northern Beaches, starting fairly easy such as Wattigans and Duffys Forest".

Joining SJC firstly!!! LOL

Cheers

Andy

Visitor

Certainly, Andy...

"I recently purchased a 2006 Wrangler TJ 60th Anniversary and joined this hear epic club." - sorry not very clear, I believe I've signed up to SJC online through this site.

Unless there's something outside of registering online that I'm missing?

Looking forward to getting on the road and learning as much as I can

Beware the "JEEP BUG" it bites hard!!!

Welcome to my nightmare, I think you're going to like it!!!

Cheers

Andy

Visitor

Default TJ Tyre Options

Any thing else you should consider is a very open question.

There is so much you can do to TJ.

I guess you need to think about what kind of off roading you want to do and how hard you want to go then start planning your build from there.

Lift and tyres will help take your jeep a lot of places

Done a lot of research on building my 97 TJ so feel free to ask questions.

You will get a lot of help here on the the SJC forum.

You should consider coming along to grease monkey. It will be a great weekend on and off the trails. A great way to see other jeeps and talk about the mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steven.Boyd; 22-02-14 at 12:06 AM.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by M17TY's TJ View Post
    Certainly, Andy...

Unless there's something outside of registering online that I'm missing?

Looking forward to getting on the road and learning as much as I can

Welcome
    I think what Andy meant was for you to join the SJC as a member (you have signed up as a visitor) and take advantage of the club's many activities.
    Nice to see another fellow northern beaches resident and a TJ owner to boot.
    I have been building and re-building my 97 TJ for the past two and half years now and would gladly share my experience and knowledge, the club and its members are an invaluable resource as well and you'll find them to be very generous with their time and advice and the cumulative depth of knowledge and experience is amazing.
    Although I've only managed to attend one (monthly) club meeting, that would be a great place to start if you wish to check it out (you can come as a visitor) but I'm sure you can pretty much get the feel in the forums as well.
    Hope to see you on the trails.

Cheers,

Shefy.

Visitor

Welcome to world of Jeeps. Lock your credit card away before the bank asks for it back. There are way too many things to buy for Jeeps, particularly the TJ's and JK's.

I've got a friend who run AT3's on his Triton and loves them. He says they are quieter than the HT tyres that came with it and seem to be wearing well. I've only been off road with him a couple of times while he's had them but they seem to grip well, at least in the dry. Never tested them in the wet.

I've got Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-Rib on my JK. They're a more aggressive AT tyre than the AT3. I can hear some noise from them but nothing bad but I don't get the slow speed shudder from them that you get with a muddie so there still well suited to road road driving. They're wearing well so far (done just over 40,000km on them). I'll get at least 80000km out of them, more if I want to take them down to the legal limit. They grip well on road and off, even surprisingly well in the mud for an AT. I think they've been superseded by the new P3's now but I'd expect the P3's to be as good, and maybe a little quieter due to the design of tread pattern.

There are cheaper tyres around though, especially if your thinking of changing to a dedicated set of off road tyres down the track (no pun intended). Coopers or Mickey T are fairly pricey. Maxxis seem to be getting good reports lately as well as Hankook. I've had Hankook road tyres before and never had an issue with them.

Visitor

hmm some good info also a recent 2005 tj wrangler owner bout ( 1 week lol)... ive been lookin at this to but more so a spare set of muddies, even second hand ones are expensive.....it strange ive always own sports cars when i was young and spendin $1000 on them and all the family would say why you do that for waste of money and now i got the jeep they ask me when u going lift it, get bigger wherls etc lol

Visitor

Thanks for the heads up Andy, I'm beginning to realise this now haha

Visitor

Hey Steven,
    Thanks for the reply, you guys sound absolutely awesome, can't believe how much information and time people are willing to help each other out. Truly great to see.

Well so far I have 2 inch spring lifts, new shocks, and decided to go with a set of 31" Cooper Discoverer A/T3 Tyres just to keep things simple for the time being while I get a feel for the type of off roading I plan to get into. I plan on driving from Sydney to Perth at the end of my degree so know that there is so much I could be getting into.

Unfortunately, because of my work I my hours are early mornings, nights and weekends, so Grease Monkey at the moment does not look possible, but will definitely keep my eyes open for future events and endeavour to get the time off to join everyone.