Thread: 31x10.5 to 33x12.5 tyres

Visitor

Default 31x10.5 to 33x12.5 tyres

Hi guys and gals,
    This topic has been dealt with to death on all the forums.
    Yes, I know that a 2004 Jeep Tj comes standard with a 3.07 gear ratio.
    Yes, I know that when installing larger tyres you lose power off the starts (like starting in second gear).
    Yes, I know that moving up to 33s typically involves a regear to about 4.11.

I've got 31x10.5R15 on the jeep now and I've noticed a drop in torque from the stock tyres. I'd like to get a few testimonials from people that have gone from 31s to 33s.
    Is there much of a difference in the performance in that jump. I know there's people out there with 33's on 3.07 gear ratio because I've seen them. (Yeah I'm that crazy dude checking out all the mods on your jeep while it's parked, I confess I'm a jeepoholic )
    Can I get away with buying 33 tyres (with rims to suit) for a while or will it drive me nuts? I'm planning on getting a regear afterwards once I get a bit more savings under my belt.
    If anyone wants to recommend a cheap tyre store they had great dealings with that would be appreciated too.

Thanks for all the help. Hope to be hearing from your soon

Rob

Hey Rob,
    before buying my JK, I to had a TJ and did the same thing, personally I didn't notice that much. I did need to do a 1 inch body lift to stop the rubbing, but power wise I could live with that.
    I had 33's x12.50 Maxxis Big Horn with mickey Thompson classic III
    Handbrake

Visitor

Cheers for that Jeep11.
    So did you switch from 31s to 33s and not notice a difference.
    I noticed a big difference from the stock tyres to the 31s. I can go 80 in 3rd gear and just hit 3000 rpms.
    Forget about 5th gear. Maybe with a tailwind and heading downhill. Ha ha ha ha even then I'm hovering around 2000 rpms.

Yeah, 31's to 33's I never use 5th gear after that. But hey it looked good LOL