Thread: XJ diesel starter motor...

Visitor

Default XJ diesel starter motor...

Firstly does anyone happen to have one spare? I will be chasing one up in the morning, and hopefully have things sorted for Sunday..

Had the dreaded starter 'click' a few times over the last week, or two, maybe even 3, if I'm honest, but it kicked over after the second attempt, now it has given up. Luckily it happened at home.. Fuses, supply voltage and earths checked, New starter required!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visitor

I found the 12v connection on the starter had been arching out and had melted half way through, causing the stud on the solenoid to snap when I attempted to remove it, as it had welded itself together.. So finding a new starter was proving difficult, and looking expensive, I decided I had nothing to loose, so I stripped it down, gave it a clean and lubed up everything that needed a lube, and managed to weld a 10mm stud onto what was left of the 12v post... Tested it on the bench, fitted it back onto the Jeep, starts better than it ever has! I've never touched the starter while I've owned the car so I'm just guessing at some point in its life it was never tightened up fully or a washer has broken up and fallen off the terminal??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk