Thread: Soft Tops, do they get any easier?

Visitor

Default Soft Tops, do they get any easier?

Hi folks, Last night I spent an hour building a hardtop dolly and this morning I spent 5 minutes taking my hardtop off by myself, and then a couple of hours and some scathing criticism of soft top designers putting the soft top on.

Is is just because it's new?, or is it the most ridiculous design for a soft top known to man ( and seemingly designed by monkeys, or sadistic monkeys)?

The sunrider section cannot be secured unless the sail panels ( rear corners) are loose, this requires unzipping the rear quarter and rear windows. And then unclipping the sail panels. Them securing the sunrider, and re-zipping the quarter panels (expect to lose some skin here, or your mind, or both) and rear window panel.

If you want to put the top down altogether, you must completely remove the quarter and rear panels and are advised not to store these in the car to avoid scratching ( fair enough but let's hope there are no sudden showers, in fact, even if you do carry them with, pray there are no sudden showers because it takes a while.

isnt a soft top supposed to be easier to put up and down than a hardtop?

Most pictures of JKU have the hardtop on, and I believe I now know why.

Have you guys had similar experiences, will the fabric stretch at all?

Try to do it on a hot day mate and the canvas will stretch better.... Also as u get more experience u will get faster at it.... I normally do the remove side windows, rear windows, lower the top into the boot operation whole thing in under 5 minutes.......

Visitor

That's good to know, I guess I'll just practice then.
    Thanks.

Visitor

Well I've had another bash at this thing. I'm a little more impressed after driving with the softtop on. It is very solid, no flapping whatsoever. very quiet as well.

Still find it a bit rough that to push the sunrider back, or rather, to close the sunrider after having it open, I have to unzip the rear windows and let the corners loose first. But still hoping for a bit of stretch.

I did notice it was easier this time around though so there is hope.