Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Greg's 2014 Grand Cherokee

So I drive in the bush and around trees and rocks, and come out relatively unscathed (so far, except for some scatches on the sliders), then I'm driving on the Great Western Highway at Blackheath on Friday, and I encounter this galah:

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/GR...1%20May%202015
    And then he argued that he was in the right because he had his blinker on!
    I had seen him, and thought he was reverse parking (as he went back & hit the gutter just before he pulled out).
    Not too much damage - just scratched both doors.
    Greg

Camera has paid for itself already!

Lord Help Me I'm in to JEEP!
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Visitor

Bugger!
    Shouldn't be any issue with insurance though as he was clearly in the wrong.
    Glad the damage isn't too bad.

One thing I have noticed since being in Aus is that when driving, a lot of folks think that just because they are indicating they have a right to move, not that that they are indicating to show that they would like to move. Indicating and actually looking to see what's there seem to be mutually exclusive actions.

Default Gregs 2014 Grand Cherokee

I want to install a leveling kit on my Jeep grand cherokee. It will give me about a 2 inch lift. What size all terrains should I install? Anybody get discounts on any of these items?

Chill4,

The Drifta Drawers:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...pselgw6fx3.jpg

They were custom built, with wings on each side, and about 100cm square, so they could be attached to the tie down points in the cargo area.
    I did not realise that the tie-down points were so flimsy when I had them built, and I am planning to replace them with reinforced tie-down points when (if) they are sold by Chief Products.
    They were supplied with turnbuckles to secure, but I replaced these with centre-over levers. I needed the drawers to be removable to access the spare wheel etc, although on trips I carry a second spare externally.
    The space under the wings can be utilised (access from rear, and from the front with the seat back down).

On the left is a regular drawer, with a removable table at the top (going full width under the wing). The table has built in legs, which is handy.
    On the right is a 'kitchen drawer'. It functions as a regular drawer, or, for long stays, the whole thing can be removed (again, with built-in legs), and set up externally. Good if staying in one pace for a couple of nights, but not practical (or necessary) for a one-night stop. I might get a regular drawer made for this side as an optional alternative.

This setup doesn't leave a lot of space for a fridge, so I use the back seat, with the seat-back up, on the passenger side, and reclining the front passenger seat locks it in place. I also carry a second battery in the footwell ebhind the front passenger seat (under the fridge), in an ArcPac, that is also 'locked-in' by the front seat.

Hope this helps.
    Greg
    Last edited by Greg D; 18-05-16 at 04:38 PM.

Win,
    Apologies for the delay in responding - I must have missed your post in my feed of 'latest posts'.
    I don't think a centre mount would be an issue legally. Being offset gives a better rear view. For some purposes being hinged on the drivers side would have been better for me, but then the carrier would swing into the traffic lane if parallel parked on a road.
    I crossed the Simpson, and done some rough tracks, including some in the Victorian High Country, and didn't have any issue with the 'unbalanced weight'. It has a very secure mounting system, and has caused me no issues. I only use it on trips when I want to carry a second spare, and store it at home for regular driving.
    Greg

Just realised that I don't have a photo of the snorkel - the first one fitted commercially by Murchison. A year on, and I;m very happy with it: