Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg's 2014 Grand Cherokee

I had an ARB compressor fitted into the engine bay (not much room in there!)

I also fitted a TireGate rear tyre carrier. More detail later. Since this photo yesterday, I have fitted the number plate and lighting for it. I am using a "Bike Plate" on the basis that the tyre carrier is not a permanent fixture and is fitting into the tow hitch. Not sure how that will be viewed by the authorities. I still need to adjust the wheel fitting points to better suit the Jeep wheel. (I decided to go with the standard tyres for a while, so bought 4 new rims ($400) and 4 good tyres (with less than 10,000ks) for $350). I still have my spare inside, but am having drawers fitted on Tuesday, so will make access difficult.

This photo also shows the Uneek roof rack, and I have fitted a batwing type awing to it. Probably a bit longer than I should have purchased, and I have only tried it in the driveway, but will test in at Grease Monkey next weekend.
    Last edited by Greg D; 07-03-15 at 11:47 PM.

Another shot of the tyre carrier. Lots of space between the carrier & the vehicle. This can fit a Jerry Can, or a hi-lift jack. I know it will reduce the departure angle significantly, and I am considering the effort vs benefit of removing it when camping (eg Grease Monkey, Camp Coffs, Jambo). This carrier also allows towing (or fitting a hitch receiver). You lose 200 lbs or towball weight allowance.

And another shot of the roof rack, before the awning installation.

An interior shot. The Larado does not come with factory navigation (not even an option), so I have fitted my iPad for the big picture, and have my TomTom on the windscreen for turn by turn. I use GPX HD on the iPad, and sometime Sygic for turn by turn. YOu can also see the Oricom UHF (puchased at an SJC meeting in August).

Last edited by Greg D; 07-03-15 at 11:48 PM.

And I am sure I'll never see fule consumption like this again:

6.5 litres per hundred, over 666 km, between Forster and Brisbane, but before I added the weight & windage of the bars etc.

I also have a fridge (Waeco 40 litre) and Arkpac battery, and I am experimenting regarding the location.

Still to come:

Drawers (with fitted table & kitchen unit) from Drifta, on Tuesday.
    A water bladder.

And a snorkel - booked in for fitting the day before Camp Coffs, so I will just go to Coffs the long way round via Brisbane!

Then to test it all out at Grease Monkey next week.
    Last edited by Greg D; 07-03-15 at 11:53 PM.

Hi Greg. The car is looking great. I think you should be right with a bike plate on swing away tyre carrier, but from the photo's it looks like the drivers side tail lamp and indicator is obscured by the tyre carrier. You may need to fit some trailer lights up on the spare. Where did you get the tyre carrier from. I've never seen one before. I'd be interested in getting one for my old girl if it's any good.
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Visitor

Awesome Grand Greg, luxury offroading. Congratulations. We'll have to have a Grand Slam West sometime..

The long range fuel tank may hold you up a bit as it is sitting low and the Tire Gate will definitely come in contact with mother earth with reduced dep angle. I think UNEEK is designing a rear bumper & tyre carrier for WK2s presently.

Elio, The Tyre carrier is from TireGate http://www.tiregate.com.au/ and distributed in Australia by 4WD World. I emailed a query to the website and they phoned me. It cost $1325, including the Number Plate relocation kit. I know what you mean about blocking the drivers side tail lights. I will check it more from straight behind.

Sal, I was initially waiting for the Uneek Bar (and was trying to get a price!), but it is a permanent fixture, so it would mean always having to swing the tyre out of the way to access the tailgate. By fitting this, I don't need to have it on around town or even for day trips - it is primarily for long range touring (starting with the Simpson Desert in June). At the moment I have it on to check it, but will probably remove it tomorrow.

I don't think the long range tank has much impact on the departure angle, but will be checking this, and adding some more detailed photos to show it more clearly. I know the Tyre Carrier has an impact, and that's part of the trade off with a permanent bar such as Uneek.

Visitor

Greg,

If you'd like to upgrade the alarm system, Carbon Car Systems is tops.

Remote start is avlbl for cooling or heating the car up and/or charging the battery up when you're away using GSM, ie: phone or tablet connected to the internet. ( Start the Jeep up for 10/20/30 mins say when you're overseas for example).

You could also track any movement using a hidden GPS module.

Keyless entry is also an option.

Loving the Grand evolution.. C u at Grease monkey on Friday.
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Great Grand . Well done greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lord Help Me I'm in to JEEP!
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!