Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steves JK

Default Steves JK

So, bite the bullet and decided to retire the XJ and get a newer Jeep. It was a tough decision as the 14 year old XJ is a beast and has served us well but it was time to move on and get something more modern. We originally thought a 4 door JK was what we needed but as a family we mostly head off in our other new car, a turbo diesel station wagon, so we decided to go for a 2 door fun machine and will get a roof rack for longer trips or take the tear drop camper along (which now needs a colour change )

Anyway, we looked at one JK, and bought it, a 2 door 2009 Rubicon. Not what you would normally do but the price was good, the mileage fairly low (39k) and it is a Rubicon (so retiring the XJ wasn't quite so painful).

Apart from the stock Rubicon JK stuff it has a few other things as the original owner optioned it up a bit.

Mopar front bar, rear bar and rock rails. Safari snorkel, projecta dual battery management system with dual battery monitor, tow bar, spotlights, Mygig Nav and bluetooth.

First impressions is the interior is made out of the same stuff as some of my daughters plastic toys, sturdy, that's for sure but welcoming, not exactly The XJ interior does not look 10 years older The boot, if you can call it that, is very very small, but it will fit a 25lt fridge for day trips and there are numerous other place to store stuff, under the front seats is pretty roomy. I hate the way the passenger seat does not lock forward when it is slide to allow access to the back, a simple oversight by Jeep but a pain already on any slope. I hear this was fixed in 2011 updates.

On the plus side it is quiet on the road (for a Jeep), and feels pretty peppy (I wont say fast but off the line it's decent). The seating feels like my XJ on 35's, tall with a good view, must feel like a monster riding in any JK on 35's. I'm looking forward to summer and putting the soft top on.

And some pics. It'll stay like this for a few months at least and will then get 2" of lift and 285/70 on the 17's. Other plans include the usual like a UHF, tablet mount and swapping a couple of bits from the XJ like the LED light bar. There are already some Mopar front recovery hooks on the way and a mount for the light bar

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 08-07-14 at 10:21 AM.
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Good stuff Steve.You will surprised what you can fit in a shortie.You saw what we fitted in our TJ last year at Camp Coffs.
    Enjoy getting to know the new Jeep,Brent.

Visitor

Looks good Steve. I say you're ready to tackle those trails.

First mod Scored a NAV-TV ALLGIG form ebay, unused, in the box with required AV cable. These things unlock the in motion DVD on the My-GIG along with allowing you to enter an address in the nav while in motion. More importantly I can hook up a reverse camera (plus forward) and view on the My-Gig. Also allows me to add a rear monitor so Emily can watch a DVD in the back. All plug and play and usual close to $400, was the only bidder and got it for $100.

Happy with that.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 09-07-14 at 08:08 PM.

We'll done that's a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the lightbar off of the XJ and sorted some brackets for it to mount it on the front bar, either hanging underneath or on top. I think I will take the spotties off as I never used them on the XJ and mount the light bar hanging from the front hoop so it's out of the way a little.

Cheers
    Steve

Mounted and tested the light bar (it's been a while since it was switched on) using the battery out of Bec's motorbike I went to wire it up to the switch and loom used for the spot lights but at some point the wiring had touched the exhaust manifold and shorted killing the existing switch. I've sorted the wiring and rerouted it, without so much of a spare loop in it, and will replace the switch when I wire up the reversing camera.

Cheers
    Steve

I've got coils for sale
    3 inch and 4 inch

Tempting as they are 2-2.5" is the max this time around I've had my fill of bigger lifts, the XJ was a total of 8" with tyres I'm even enjoying the JK stock at the moment, but then I haven't been offroad in it yet

Cheers
    Steve

Default Steves JK

The 3 inch are the max flex progressive. Work real nice. My camper is nose heavy, that's why I changed. But a tear drop will work well with them. I've even had to put air bags in my current set up. Best thing I've ever done

And 3" is the max legal now