Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Steves JK

Next job, going to turn the ammo box into a big bluetooth speaker with 9ah battery and port to charge with solar or from the Jeep. Will also add a couple of phone charging ports etc. Should be a fun project.

Current speaker to show the scale. This will have two 4" or 5" speakers.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Got back on to the speaker. Cut some holes (which I'll tidy up) and cut a piece of MDF to fit inside the ammo can so the speakers are not mounted to a piece of vibrating tin The speaker on the top is just my current bluetooth speaker and being used to hold it all in there.

The AMP is running at 12V and 2A from a wall plug in this test but will run from a 12V battery and switch to the wall plug if it is plugged in. Thinking I might up it to 24V and 3A if I want it louder but this was at 50% and as painful this close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlIfhu5TEI8

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 21-10-16 at 04:09 PM.

All wired up and topping up the battery for a longevity test Did an hour with no drop in battery voltage after I turned it off and let the battery settle, it was still on 13v. Doing longer now.... should get at least 6 hours, probably more unless it's really cranked up.

CTEK charger doubles as charger and power supply when needed.

Just needs the grills on the speakers and a 3.5mm audio input so I don't have to rely on bluetooth.

Inside layout before wiring, Amp is mounted to the inside of the lid. Speakers and battery are mounted to a seperate wooden piece for better sound and a solid mount.

Cheers
    Steve

Realised I had some mesh left over from adding it behind the JK grill, slotted straight in I like the unfinished look on the holes, kinda suits the project so they are going to stay this way.

Cheers
    Steve

Picked up some spares for the trailer, now I have a spare wheel for the fraser trip as well as hubs etc.

Cheers
    Steve

Add a portable washer (for the trailer), it's certainly not high pressure but will be great for cleaning radiators and windows, washing mud off before the trip home and with the addition of a PWM controller (few bucks on ebay) It will double as a camp shower (turn pump speed down to reduce the pressure and water usage and adjust hand piece to shower spray).

Slowly getting ready for Fraser over the New Year. Added a transmission cooler, if you have been thinking about it do it, especially if you tow or 4WD

It has dropped the temp of the transmission fluid about 25c to 30c in everyday driving, just feeling the hose going into the cooler and then coming out it is quite easy to tell. The most notable thing though is when I push it hard up hill the temp will climb but it comes down a lot quicker, as soon as the load is off, much more like the water temp does. Previously it would go up and then take a long time to slowly come back down again. This is possibly the best mod I have done in regards to general drive-ability and peace of mind.

I didn't take any pics of it plumbed in but it's not much different, just imagine hoses on there

Cheers
    Steve

37 degrees out and went for a 40 minute drive including some steepish winding stuff. Look at the intake temp when I stopped to take the pic (shot up with no airflow). Auto climbed no higher than 6c above ambient temps maxing at 43, previously this would put it in the 80s.

Red dots on the gauges show the max yellow the minimum.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 05-12-16 at 04:50 PM.

Steve, does your engine coolant now get hotter because of the hot/restricted air coming through the transmission cooler before the main radiator?
    Cheers
    Ian W.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatfender View Post
    Steve, does your engine coolant now get hotter because of the hot/restricted air coming through the transmission cooler before the main radiator?
    Cheers
    Ian W.
    Doesn't seem to make a difference, I'm wondering if it actually runs a bit cooler as stock the trans fluid goes through the radiator to cool it, mine still does but at a much lower temperature now.

Cheers
    Steve