Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Steves JK

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    37 degrees out and went for a 40 minute drive including some steepish winding stuff. Look at the intake temp when I stopped to take the pic (shot up with no airflow). Auto climbed no higher than 6c above ambient temps maxing at 43, previously this would put it in the 80s.

Red dots on the gauges show the max yellow the minimum.

Cheers
    Steve
    Your transmission temps are half the normal operating temp of my grand.
    I have to run it up to 80 degrees(normal operating temp) to check the levels.

However, my coolant normal operating temp is 80.
    Last edited by Hunno; 06-12-16 at 06:48 PM.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunno View Post
    Your transmission temps are half the normal operating temp of my grand.
    I have to run it up to 80 degrees(normal operating temp) to check the levels.

However, my coolant normal operating temp is 80.
    The JK Hot oil warning comes on at 115c, I have had it once offroad. The transmission goes into normal shifting mode at 25c (locks the torque converter over this temp). My transmission seems to run at between 35 and 45 all the time now Today it was low 20's when I went to work and trans temps were the same as yesterday. I think this was a great result as it is up to temp in a minute or so, no longer than before, but runs nice and cool all the time.

Engine temps on JKs are always pretty high 90 to 105 is pretty normal, mine is usually around the 95 mark. Consensus on the US forums is under 80c is good for the trans Totally different trans to your though.

Also remember the JK trans overheating was a huge issue when first released, the fix was the warning light/message and then stopping and idling while it cools down, when it should have been a trans cooler. 80c is listed as normal in the JK manual as well, although it does say how to check levels when cold as well, I think it's only listed as normal as this is what it runs at. After cooking a trans in the XJ I ain't going to do it again

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 06-12-16 at 08:25 PM.
    Public Officer - Member #076

Trans temp is way low 40deg mine has the cooler, I believe there is a thread created about this, cooler installed most JK owners were getting 70-80 deg on average.

You can make the engine cooler by installing the correct molar coolant and severe clutch fan.

It will sit around 80deg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I know is it doesn't overheat (the trans) now and reads around 40 degrees lower than it did with no issues. Was great on Fraser even towing in the soft sand.

Cheers
    Steve

Made a spare tyre carrier for the trailer, the tyre takes up too much room in the tub so made this. Welded to the draw bar and bolted to the tub (as the tub is removable)

Sits low enough.

Cheers
    Steve

Added an awning mount, took about half a day too make it once I had all the bits I needed.

Locked down

Locked up

Awning out

Cheers
    Steve

Added some aluminium sailtrack to the back of the awning so I can run one over the trailer to shade the fridge etc without having to leave the canvas cover on it all the time.

I will either add some poles or just peg it out.

Vinyl awning covers makes the join water proof, just folds over backwards to fill the gap

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 02-02-17 at 02:29 PM.

All set for Camp Coffs now.

Cheers
    Steve

Added a simple external table for tea and lunch making etc.

Aluminium strip attached above the guard and painted black to blend in a bit.

Other half of the extrusion on a piece of flat pack do it yourself kitchen from bunnings, also stuck some rubber on the underside to stop it from sliding in the track and to take up the little bit of space the extrusion needs.

Done

Takes up very little room in the trailer and is perfect for small jobs like making lunch etc. The table sits on top of the fridge when in transit.

Cheers
    Steve

Next addition to the camping setup is a 600W generator, its a 1982 Yamaha EF600. Couple of good things about it, first it was cheap, second it's a Yamaha so spares are readily available (ordered a gasket and bits and pieces to fix a small leak when I turn it off) thirdly it is quiet and finally it's mechanically great and runs really nicely. It's big enough to run my 18A battery charger so perfect for camping when the solar can't keep up, an hour on this and the battery will be ready for another day or so of no sun.

Undecided on paint, either going to leave it as it is or do it military style to match the trailer.

https://youtu.be/ptYcN5daWYg

Cheers
    Steve