Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Caves to Caves

Visitor

Hi Rob,
    You don't need to change it for us. I just posted the info because I saw somebody was looking at hiring a camper for it (I was just too lazy to go back a page and look at who it was), it was Rich. Thanks for the offer of a tent but Melissa's back doesn't do camp stretchers any more. Appreciate it though.

Cheers,
    Keith

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by sfedek View Post
    Sounds good, I'm in

Eddy
    I cannot make it now guys.

Well there goes this idea.

Bugger

Eddy

Visitor

Syl and I did this trip on our own last year over two days. First night was spent at Jenolan Caves Hotel. The original plan for the second day was to cross the Kowmung to Dingo Dell then Yerranderie-Mittagong(refuel)-Sydney. Unfortunately the weather was really wet and the water level at Kowmung was high and the flow was dangerously fast. So, no go on the crossing there. We had to do a 20 point turn to turn the Jeep around with half of the Jeep in the water. We were glad we did not have a camper trailer then. A U turn would have been an impossibility on the steep and narrow fire trail leading down to the Kowmung. Please double check the weather and river level prior to the trip.

After that we headed back to Kanangra Road heading north, then turned west to Edith Road and afterwards south to Shooters Hill, Abercrombie Road and made our way to Yerranderie. From Jenolan Caves, all that took 5 hours. Last refuel was at Mt Victoria, I think, the previous day. Fuel tank total was about 100L.

Yerranderie was a wonderful private town in the middle of the bush there. Really one of a kind. We picked up our spit BBQ that someone was selling there for $60. !! Very exxy at BBQs Galore.

By the time we got out at Mittagong fuel was nearly empty, about 10ks to go probably.

In summary, please check the weather (Flooded rivers/Bush Fire) and have plenty of Gas! We used 2 x 20L Jerries extra to the tiny 60L GC tank. Oh yeah, plenty of roos, so drive with care.

Enjoy peeps.
    Last edited by AV8; 04-10-14 at 10:29 PM.

If it is one camper or two you could probably fit them in the car park and get parked in by the other jeeps. If towing and rain is predicted i would go around the long way and meet up with the group later.

If you want to fit in Yerrandarie and wombeyen in the same weekend may want to consider either the hut or bat shit camp for first night so you have some time at Yerrandarie

There is room for camper trailers at the Hut where we camped several years ago when when we did that trip - at the spot near where the ute rolled. Brian and Heidi led that trip so they would know the proper name of the hut - its on further from Dingo Dell, and good shelter with a fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by glend View Post
    There is room for camper trailers at the Hut where we camped several years ago when when we did that trip - at the spot near where the ute rolled. Brian and Heidi led that trip so they would know the proper name of the hut - its on further from Dingo Dell, and good shelter with a fireplace.
    Yes, I was on that trip with Glen, I think it was the old ranger station. A good campsite!

Dave

Visitor

Those who intend to bring a camper trailer, please ensure it a hardfloor type with an electric brake system and a good vehicle connection. Also bring plenty of fresh drinking water. Recommend 2 litre per person per day.

Please refer to the following post regarding camping.

Cheers Rob S
    Last edited by uncaged123; 01-10-14 at 01:09 AM.

Visitor

Sorry I tried to install an update last night, but it didn't go through.

I contacted Obéron NP staff who advised me that there is room for 1-2 camper-trailers. I also drove up there yesterday to check out camping sites but didn't go right to the dingo dell camping area. There is a nice flat area next to the Kowmong River which I think can accommodate us all. If we park our jeeps on the hillside. Its just after crossing the river before going up the hill, and is a good location to try a spot of trout fishing.

Cheers Rob S
    Last edited by uncaged123; 01-10-14 at 12:54 AM.

Visitor

Hi Rob,
    Sorry I cannot join this trip anymore, have to work the weekend.
    Have fun everybody !

Thomas

Visitor

I am interested as well

cheers
    Herison
    Last edited by hmr73; 03-10-14 at 09:25 PM.