Thread: Tyre question

Visitor

Default Tyre question

Just wondering what brand tyres everyone is running ?
    And what sort of km's you get out of them
    Thanks

BFG KM2 on the XJ, only done a couple of thousand KM's and they look like new still. I'm thinking of trying Achilles XMT on the JK or possibly the Summit MudHog. If I had the cash I'd go the KM2 though.

Achilles XMT (around $300 for 285/70/17)

Summit Mudhog around $280 for 285/70/17

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

For 3 years been running the maxis bighorns because they were cheap ( not any more) and would have easily got 70k from each set... Issue I found was the side wall didn't have much rubber on it so rock crawling it would show up canvas.. It was also noisy on the black stuff. And maybe it was luck had three punctures that ruined the tyres as well (2 new ones which upset me). Currently running nitto trail grapplers and have done 5000k so far and seem awesome. Very quite on rd and great traction on the wet stuff and rocks. Bloody heavy with huge rubber walls. People in the states have gotten +60k miles so hoping I get similar.. Unless I decide to go to 37s...
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Visitor

I had the same problem with the sidewalls Jose,got the tyres turned around.Going Mud Grapplers next,plenty of side wall meat.

Visitor

Why don't you check out the Japanese brand giving coopers a run for their money. I have their all terraine on my jk. They are quieter on the road, strong side wall, gives a written 80,000 km warranty and are far cheaper than coopers and a number of others brands. Their name start with an "F".
    Last edited by uncaged123; 15-08-14 at 05:59 AM.

Visitor

Thanks for the replies
    I've finally retired your old tyres Dieselcon
    And settled on mtz's will see how that works out

Visitor

I have the BF Goodrich MT KM 2 on mine, and the Mrs has Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ on hers.

Mine are about 5 years old now, and have around 100,000 km's on are starting to show their age/distance. The is a few goods chunks missing from the Lithgow shale, but they are happy to be let down to 8 psi when required to get tractions. Overall very happy with them and will probably buy them again.

The MTZ's are relatively new, have about 8,000 km's on them. Most of that is on the black top and they are wearing nice and flat.

With both sets, we need to rotate them (we use a 5 tyre rotation system) them every 5,000 km's otherwise we get wobbles and increased road noise. When we moved the office I didn't get a chance to rotate them for 8,000 km's and I noticed saw tooth pattern on the front tyres.

Greg

If you want to stay at 295/70/17. I highly recommend as AT the bridgestone D697. Very underestimated but I've taken it everywhere and never lacked traction

- - Sent from my Jeep