Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JK shorty lift advice

Visitor

Thanks Steve. My bad. I thought I had read somewhere that it was certified. Cool

Visitor

I had heard that Jeep Konnection were selling some lifts that were engineered, i.e. your car will be engineered with them. Might have been the AEV lifts but I'm not sure.
    Might be worth giving them a ring.
    It would probably mean a trip to Melbourne to get it fitted and I'd make sure it's engineered for NSW and not just VIC.

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

"Where is the new datum?"

I'm no lawyer nor a techie, but if I'm reading it right, you would start with the "tallest" version of your car from the manufacturer that already has ADR design compliance. For the JK that would be the Ruby with 17" wheels and (roughly) 32" tyres.

Then measure it at the roof, before and after. So half the tyre size increase + the lift. Over and above the Ruby.

I know now what you mean about different states. We brought my Porsche 928 back from the UK and had it certified in BrisVegus. Then had to do it all over again when we moved to NSW. I think you would be ok though as long as it was legal and certified and registered in your home state. If you were just using an address of convenience you might be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-JK View Post
    I had heard that Jeep Konnection were selling some lifts that were engineered, i.e. your car will be engineered with them. Might have been the AEV lifts but I'm not sure.
    Might be worth giving them a ring.
    It would probably mean a trip to Melbourne to get it fitted and I'd make sure it's engineered for NSW and not just VIC.
    Engineering Approval is a state specific process to certify that the vehiole is deemed safe under the ADRs and that states laws.
    For a national approval the vehicle would need to be passed as an entire configuration (inc wheels/tyres/bumpers etc) and run through the entire testing process which would likely include crash testing etc. Then every vehicle would have to be setup thew same. The cost would be substantial and I don't think it would return on the investment.
    I Could be wrong by that's my understanding and perspective.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    "Where is the new datum?"

I'm no lawyer nor a techie, but if I'm reading it right, you would start with the "tallest" version of your car from the manufacturer that already has ADR design compliance. For the JK that would be the Ruby with 17" wheels and (roughly) 32" tyres.

Then measure it at the roof, before and after. So half the tyre size increase + the lift. Over and above the Ruby...
    Sure mate, that's easily understood. I suppose it is easy to compare semi stock vehicles.

What if changes were made for example, different sized axles, axle mounting bracket height/angle, new body mounting bracket, higher wider fender flares, rock rails height, soft top vs hard top. Just by changing the axles alone changes the start point where one needs to measure and compare heights/distance from.

We're all bush lawyers here, why not spend some dough and get a definitive answer from straight the horse... The engineers.

Recc: Andrew Treeve, Rob Elliott, Rob Fletcher

Not Recc: Terry Toomey, Ian Carpenter

here is the list

The ADR for suspension mods covers all your specifics. Is this this topic somehow inappropriate?

I have indeed been speaking to the engineers, on the whole the response is not overwhelming. I had hoped for guidance here before approaching the certifiers.

Btw I tried to add copies of (what I think are the relevant) ADRs and the NSW certifications requirements in this thread, but do not have the right privileges to do photos or make attachments.

Nobody can add attachments at the moment due to some technical issues, try using photo bucket and adding a link

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

i think the amount of wheel travel at stock also comes into play so technically you may be able to go more than a 2" lift

Hi guys. Thanks for all the input. I did get a heads up in PM as to why this might be a sensitive topic. Honest, I had no idea.

sorry to anyone I have annoyed.

Wouldn't worry about annoying anyone, can't see how you could have, or why it might be a sensitive topic, don't hesitate to ask questions that's what the forum is for

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076