Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JK shorty lift advice

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Hi guys. Thanks for all the input. I did get a heads up in PM as to why this might be a sensitive topic. Honest, I had no idea.

sorry to anyone I have annoyed.
    Yeah, why would it be a sensitive topic. I don't get it. Lift, ADR, Engineering = Physics, Law, Aesthetics, Clearance, Comfort

Hmmmmm.... could I also please be PM'd for explanation of the above?

Cheers

Hi guys. Thanks for all the input. I did get a heads up in PM as to why this might be a sensitive topic. Honest, I had no idea.

sorry to anyone I have annoyed.
    No annoyance to me.......... Please keep the info coming............. Need answers for the TJ's lift, etc when the time comes down the line( bloody long line presently......), so I can hopefully pick some good, knowledgeable input from folks better informed then me to use/learn a wee-bit more on the topic..............
    JC Member# 094

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

I should say that the PMs I received were greatly welcomed and not even slightly negative. Just explaining stuff and I appreciate it.

OK stevet I'll run over where I ended up. There is a specific ADR for suspension lifts. It also covers a lot of other things not as relevant. It's a logical document that covers things that we would all want handled in a lift. You can lift a car to match anything the manufacturer has done with the model. Beyond this you have 50mm grace. But this includes tyres as well as the lift. After this, with paper work you can go to a max 150mm. Which would cover 35's with lift on a JK. The paperwork is a) for design, which I have had the temerity to suggest should be sorted by the importer or manufacturer. b) then the installer does paperwork to say he did it to the designers intention.

Easy so far. Then you need to deal with local state certification. Which should be easy with that paperwork.

there are two flaws to my thinking. 1/ you can also only increase the track by 25mm. And most kits cover handling in a lift by increasing track by more than this. So my "easy" doesn't actually work. 2/ the manufacturers and importers don't do this paperwork, so you have to do full engineering as you don't have the design cert.

i was quoted $3,500 for the cert/engineering. That buys a lot of toys for the Jeep.

think that covers it.
    Last edited by Dru; 17-10-14 at 09:35 PM.

Visitor

After this, with paper work you can go to a max 150mm. Which would cover 35's with lift on a JK.
    Hi Dru,

This is true for stock axles = 150mm max lift (Body/Suspension/Tyres).

for non stock axles, the max lift is 1200mm to the top of your headlights. This may be more than 150mm to the original stock axles.

If you'd like to take it up to 35", get the 2.5"-3.0" lift done, tyres and wheels, flares, mud guards, steering and what not and go see Rob Fletcher from offtrack4x4.com in Unanderra. Top bloke and charges less than half of what you were quoted. Rob was recommended to me by Jose BTW.

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Cheers bloke.

lift etc happens this week. Exciting stuff.