Thread: Bull Bar Exemption

Association Delegate

Default Bull Bar Exemption

For those that haven't seen this yet I thought it might be of interest.

MEDIA RELEASE

26 August 2014
    MINISTER ANNOUNCES TWO-YEAR EXEMPTION
    FOR BULL BARS IN NSW
    Minister for Roads and Freight Duncan Gay today announced bull bars on light vehicles, within a reasonable tolerance of the requirements, will be given a two-year period of exemption from the vehicle registration regulations applying to bull bars in NSW.
    Minister Gay will issue a Ministerial Order to address the issue of non-compliant bull bars currently subject to a compliance campaign.
    “This has been a real issue in the bush and there is no simple solution,” Minister Gay said.
    “But we are working to make sure vehicles on our roads are safe.
    “This exemption will provide vehicle owners who have inadvertently fitted a non-complying bull bar to their vehicle or are unsure about their bull bar compliance, with time to have their bull bar inspected by Roads and Maritime Services.
    “Owners will be allowed to drive with their bull bar fitted during the exemption period.
    “This exemption is about ensuring vehicle owners, who thought that they were doing the right thing, aren’t disadvantaged.
    “However, bull bars that grossly exceed the current Australian Standards that are called up by NSW Regulations will not be exempt.
    “This decision flows on from the NSW Vehicle Standards Working Group meeting last week.
    “Clear guidelines will be provided to relevant agencies about what bull bars are compliant, what bull bars will be exempt and what are clearly illegal.
    “Any owners who are unsure or who have already received a defect notice for a bull bar they believe should be exempt should then have the vehicle inspected at an RMS Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station.
    “The relevant agencies have been made aware of the Ministerial Order and will work to address outstanding infringement notices.”
    MEDIA: Siobhan McCarthy 0407 791 802

Here is the link to his website: https://www.nswnationals.org.au/news...ll-bars-in-nsw

Visitor

Thanks, Thomas. Mine isn't compliant as it has not been crash tested by the manufacturer nor by me. I'm pretty sure it'll be ok but this is good news, now I have a chance.. yay!

Association Delegate

My understanding is that bars will not need to be crash tested in some circumstances if they meet the criteria. The two year exemption is to enable people to go and have their bars inspected by RMS.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_jk View Post
    My understanding is that bars will not need to be crash tested in some circumstances if they meet the criteria. The two year exemption is to enable people to go and have their bars inspected by RMS.
    That's the scary part. If you get the wrong person.....crash and burn, brudda.

I'll talk about this in more detail at the October club meeting...

Visitor

Hi Geoff, could you please dropbox the said doco ? Cheers

Visitor

I'd be also very interested in the doco.

Visitor

Bump. Any updates on this Geoff?

Visitor

Copy of the said doco here
    Last edited by AV8; 13-11-14 at 01:13 AM.