Thread: tj hardtop removal

Visitor

Default tj hardtop removal

Has anyone done this by themselves? I could probably lift the weight but its a weird shape plus rear glass is in the way... any suggestions? its warming up so wanna put soft top back on

Easy just use Turtle style

Visitor

Thats wot i was thinking but then again im 6foot tall getting out from under it haha

Visitor

I installed a hand crank/ drill driver hoist in the garage. It has 2 bars at each end and 4 cables running down the ends of the bars. Rated at 250lbs.

Last edited by AV8; 11-09-14 at 04:19 PM.

Visitor

I used to use two ratchet tie-down straps (2,000kg rated) that I looped on each side through open door, open rear window and then around a beam in my garage's roof. It worked, but it was very slow. It took me 45 mins to remove the top that way.
    Now I have a small winch (around 800 kg rated) that I bought on ebay and bolted on top of the beam. It is powered by a small rechargeable 12V jump-starter that I got from Repco. I'm using the same straps. With the winch in place I just press a button, the hook comes down. Hook-up the tie downs, press button again and the roof comes up. Sloooowly drive out of the garage. Done! Actually, I then lower the roof onto a home-made trolley (just few planks and four wheels from Bunnings) and wheel it into a corner in my garage.

Visitor

I ended up just getting my young neighbour to help only took two seconds and then 30mins to put softtop on lol