Thread: Dent in cross member (JK)

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Dent in cross member (JK)

Hey guys. The Watto bog stump took a bite at the underside of my JK. I'm thinking it's nothing serious in terms of needing urgent attention.. But thought I might check with the SJC brains trust.

Where the transfer case skid bolts in to the cross member, two bits of damage. First definitely seems cosmetic, but the flange around the bolt that holds the skid in place is bent up a bit with a piece of stump wedged in place. Momento!

second, the actual cross member has been on the front edge and is dented on the front edge. It's not a buckle or anything, just looks like some one hit it hard with a ball point hammer. Well harder than that.

also, in passing, what are the recommended protection plates to add to the JK (shorty) to reduce this sort of risk? Don't want to get carried away, but a sensible minimum.

cheers

Visitor

The cross members are replaceable if it's the one I'm thinking of. I think it's quite common to damage them when you start wheeling hard. Is this the one?
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/16365_1007.htm
    If so you'd need to make sure you got the right one (not sure if the 3.8l and 3.6l petrols have the same one but I'm sure the CRD is different).
    Some local suppliers will carry them as well and I'm guessing Synergy won't be the only people people to make them but this is the first example I found.

Yep that's it. Does it matter if it's dented? Not worried about it bring pretty! Btw it's also solid inside with mud (surprise!). Spent at least 30mins trying yo clearance it out yesterday with a vernier only partially successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Hey guys. The Watto bog stump took a bite at the underside of my JK. I'm thinking it's nothing serious in terms of needing urgent attention.. But thought I might check with the SJC brains trust.

Where the transfer case skid bolts in to the cross member, two bits of damage. First definitely seems cosmetic, but the flange around the bolt that holds the skid in place is bent up a bit with a piece of stump wedged in place. Momento!

second, the actual cross member has been on the front edge and is dented on the front edge. It's not a buckle or anything, just looks like some one hit it hard with a ball point hammer. Well harder than that.

also, in passing, what are the recommended protection plates to add to the JK (shorty) to reduce this sort of risk? Don't want to get carried away, but a sensible minimum.

cheers
    Dru Mate,

Get yourself an Evap Bash Plate, I know Rugged Ridge make one and I'm sure others do as well. If you bust the evaporator box you'll be stuffed. A fuel tank bash plate is also a good investment, but you can beat it out with a sledge hammer! (just be careful when taking it off, as the factory bash plate is also the main support for the fuel tank)

Cheers

Andy

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Yep that's it. Does it matter if it's dented? Not worried about it bring pretty! Btw it's also solid inside with mud (surprise!). Spent at least 30mins trying yo clearance it out yesterday with a vernier only partially successful.
    I doubt it will matter if it's a bit dented. It's when it starts to get deformed/twisted that you'll need to get it replaced.

Cheers guys. Got it up in the air for a better look this morning. Dent to three spots.
    1/ the cross member which I think can survive for now.
    2/ the exhaust. Ideally needs fixing quickly, but the engine is running fine at the moment. Might take a little time thinking about after market replacement.
    3/ the sump. Don't like this one. No leaks but not comfortable.

all of which brings forward my need to bore everyone with lift talk...

Association Delegate

I also dented my exhaust considerably on the weekend - it will also need replacement.

Once I have moved into our new house at the end of the month I am planning on building some skid plates for my CRD so I don't damage things into the future!