Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rydal weekend - 17/18 Jan 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    What time are you thinking of kicking trips off on the Saturday?

Also, Belinda sent in her application form & money order today - will she need her card to attend? When I head up to hers next I'll sort out the password / login issues she was having on her end
    Hoping to get up there for 9:00am and then an hour to unpack and setup a bit of camp and then off on the trips. Assuming the weather is sunny like it's supposed to be.

No problem, we'll go on trust

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Thanks for the head up time!

Will sort out any $ issues if any come up boss, thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Hoping to get up there for 9:00am and then an hour to unpack and setup a bit of camp and then off on the trips. Assuming the weather is sunny like it's supposed to be.

No problem, we'll go on trust

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by DanD; 12-01-15 at 09:56 PM.

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Kerry is going to hate it but we can definitely lead a run picking up the Spanish steps and bone baal. It's not training driving other than the climbs and descents... and of cause the steps. Someone else can lead the steps. ;-) I doubt very much anything we have found is new to SJC but we did uncover an interesting entry point and short climb that looked new from the 'wang up to, goodness, is it Black Fellows Hand? Or a trail that leads to the Hand anyway.

Immediately behind the Rydal show grounds is a short track to the river which we gave up on due to being solo and sensible. (It was pouring rain and getting dark on our return from the bone.) 15 mins drive from the camp grounds. And definitely something I expect to tick off this week end. It's a 20 min run out then return.

Guys, doing a few trails is cool, but it's meant to be a training weekend. So might be worth finding some spots with technical content to repeat a bit? I don't think we are far from Mani's last trip through the pipeline, big and little bob, and the wombat holes. A tough play is the power lines which is another one that we dropped when it was cats and dogs and we were solo. Looked slippy. Like really. And we might not be so keen if it's rainy. Did I mention "looked slippy"?

If we are just recce'ing I'd like Sunday to play closer to Bathurst and Orange via Capertee and the Turon. I have in mind going wider from the Turon than we did last time (cut by locked gates).

Sorry in advance for our enthusiasm. This stuff may be "old hat" but for a couple who haven't owned a 4wd for 25 years it's all new and exciting to us. :-)

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Kerry is going to hate it but we can definitely lead a run picking up the Spanish steps and bone baal. It's not training driving other than the climbs and descents... and of cause the steps. Someone else can lead the steps. ;-) I doubt very much anything we have found is new to SJC but we did uncover an interesting entry point and short climb that looked new from the 'wang up to, goodness, is it Black Fellows Hand? Or a trail that leads to the Hand anyway.

Immediately behind the Rydal show grounds is a short track to the river which we gave up on due to being solo and sensible. (It was pouring rain and getting dark on our return from the bone.) 15 mins drive from the camp grounds. And definitely something I expect to tick off this week end. It's a 20 min run out then return.

Guys, doing a few trails is cool, but it's meant to be a training weekend. So might be worth finding some spots with technical content to repeat a bit? I don't think we are far from Mani's last trip through the pipeline, big and little bob, and the wombat holes. A tough play is the power lines which is another one that we dropped when it was cats and dogs and we were solo. Looked slippy. Like really. And we might not be so keen if it's rainy. Did I mention "looked slippy"?

If we are just recce'ing I'd like Sunday to play closer to Bathurst and Orange via Capertee and the Turon. I have in mind going wider from the Turon than we did last time (cut by locked gates).

Sorry in advance for our enthusiasm. This stuff may be "old hat" but for a couple who haven't owned a 4wd for 25 years it's all new and exciting to us. :-)
    Enthusiasm is always good, We have a lot of mapped track behind the showground and I am sure we can do some of them on Sunday,

In tearms of traning, the best way to learn is out on the trails being lead by people with experiance in leading and spotting the technical areas. (Thats the way I learnt)

most tracks around pipeline become slippry in the wet but powerlines is a good learing trail as it has a good range of chalanges from easy to hard.

I mapped out alot of the Baal Bone Gap, Turon River, Pinicals fire trail out to sunny corner for the last jambo so more than happy to show you the mapping points I have.

Hayley and I will be going up Friday afternoon, ETA 8.00pm.
    See you guys then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post

Hey Dru, check the first post I put up This is not the training weekend, that will be posted up by Heidi or Brian. This is purely to get to know the area for those that don't and to reccie some tracks/get some familiarity with what's near by. It's also so we can sit around the camp fire and discuss Jambop on Saturday night

We'll do that track behind the show ground to the river on the night run, it was a popular track last time and is pretty straight forward, it'll be a simple loop out the back of the showground and back in the front (probably). On Saturday we'll probably need to split up into 3 or 4 groups so an ideas on locations you'd like to check out post them up as I'm sure others are interested as well and we can get a few like minded groups together to map and explore a little

Cheers
    Steve

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Ah, sorry. All clear.
    ��

Quick update

Meeting - 7:15am on Saturday morning at Richmond Maccas for a 7:30 departure and arrival at Rydal at 9:00am or meet at Rydal showground prior to 10:00am for trip departures.

Once at Rydal we will have around an hour to setup camp and then a quick discussion on trips we will run that day, so that's the time to speak up if you have a trip or PM me to let me know prior so I can put them in this thread. Ideally we would have 3 or 4 trips so groups are around 8 vehicles.

Saturday night we will have a night trip for those interested, just in the local area for an hour or so. Plenty of options and there are a few in the group that know the area so again we can split up if needed.

Sunday more trips, leaving the showground as required for the trip, this is the day to do the ones closer to the camp ground for those that need to come back to pack up camp (like me) again, if you have a trip you want to run, shoot me a PM.

What we want to get out of this - Lots of photos, video, notes, directions, track logs etc. Anything that may be pertinent to a Jambo trip (things to see, things that slow the trip up, number of Jeeps it's suitable for, specific obstacles that sort of thing) would be useful.

This is also a good time to discuss the site, the tracks, the facilities, anything Jambo

Cheers
    Steve

Steve Foster I'll be coming along too. Probably go Friday, if there is any one else going then

I'll be heading up Friday night. Should arrive between 6 and 8 depending on how early I can get out of work.