Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laws about 33" tyres

Visitor

Default Laws about 33" tyres

I have a 2004 jeep TJ sport 4.0L. I'd like to upgrade the jeep by putting 33x12.5 on it. (I know about all the lift, the backspacing, regearing info). What I'm not aware of is if there are any laws in NSW that I'll encounter when trying to do this upgrade. Is there a limit to the size of tyre you can change to? I don't want to have any problems getting a yearly pink slip.

thanks for your help.

Look at the placard on your Jeep (on the door area normally) and see what tyre size it lists (the biggest), legally you can go up 50mm in diameter from this

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

So on my placard it says my tyres can be 28.3 inches in diameter. So legally I can drive 30-31 inch tyres.
    What sort or "engineering" needs to be done so I can put 33x10.5r15 on my jeep? I see heaps of jeeps with 33s so people must do it all the time. Any help on where to start?

Just stick them on, you would have to have some bad luck getting done with 33's that's what 99% do

Cheers
    Steve

Agree with Steve.. 33's look great
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselcon View Post
    Agree with Steve.. 33's look great
    What about pink slip and they check the placard? Just put back on my 31s?

Hmmmm . Not sure. Maybe others will chime in with their experience.
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

They won't even look, at least most won't. Or, like you say, put the 31s back on.

Cheers
    Steve

As long as your tyres do not protrude past the flairs.............May need to go up to 7 inch flairs to cover the tyres......... After that, you would be very unlucky to get done/pinged for them..............
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

Coppers have auto rego reader cameras mounted and can look up the "special conditions" part of your rego in seconds. If they wanna stop and hassle you they will. If you were unlucky enough to cross path with a hard nosed defect/fault finding cop, you'll get done no matter what.

I think 7% increase of 28.3" ~ is closer to 30".

If you wanna run 33", get it engineered. When approved, that will be noted in the "special conditions" and be legal for your insurance claims, for and against. IMHO. Not just about dodging cops..