Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any chance of a "basics for group trips " type thread?

Visitor

Default Any chance of a "basics for group trips " type thread?

Hi all.

As a person seeking advice and new to off-road, I have noticed something about the forum which may not be apparent to others.

The first question one has, if one hasn't really off-roaded before, when buying a new vehicle, particularly a stock vehicle is; What do I need to do now to get out on a trail?

I know that to join a trip I need certain things to be able to attend, but I don't have a good handle on what those things are, or actually mean.

here are some examples.

UHF radio - yes I know what this is, but a "kit yourself out" thread could suggest a good entry model, or let us know what are the commonly used models of radios. I like to get good gear, but reading about some of these radios, it seems they aren't plug and play , and require quite a bit of fooling around to get them working right.

Recovery points front and rear - These are always listed, I know what they are, but the frequency of their mention makes me question if I have it right. My Jeep Wrangler has a loop under the front, and rear bumper, that I think are recovery points. (cant check the manual right now as wife is out with Jeep) Is that sufficient, or do i need something aftermarket? Do people take cars off-road that don't come with recovery points? Is that why they are specified?

Snatch Straps - Yes, I know this one too, but some newbies might not. It is a particular thing after all.

Rated Shackles - Rated to what? I have a pair of shackles that I bought from Mitchell Bros on the eve of my fateful trip to Fraser Island. I suppose they are rated, can I check in some way? Its probably stamped on them isn't it?

There are other things off course, live axles, difflockers, unlockers - When I see this I just put it in the hardcore basket and move on, I think these things aren't so important for newbies, and when we get more experience we will naturally start learning about them.

So what I'd like to request is that you create a sort of welcome pack thread that details what people need to do in lay-mans terms to start coming out with a group. With some definitions and specific examples of the basic requirements, and throw in the grading criteria as well, C grade, B grade etc.

This stuff is probably all in the forum in places, but I cant see a one stop thread that puts it all down in easy to understand and clear terms.

Feel free to let me know if I'm talking out of my hat.

Attend a 4wd training company for a day out..you'll learn lots

- - Sent from my Jeep

Visitor

Yes, that's a good idea, and that could be in the thread also, Does SJC have a recommendation, or affiliation with a 4x4 training company?

Every car is different so the manual is a good place to start to get to know your jeep
    attending a meeting and asking some one to go over the car with you is another good idea
    the club will be offering driver awareness training sessions over the next year so keep an eye at for them this will be to the accredited level and you can choose to do the formal accreditation via the 4wd association for a fraction on the cost of a commercial company

Visitor

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

LOL

Guys, I think my first post asked for training recommendations and I got "join us on the trail!". Nix, I don't doubt the trail is a fantastic answer, I've done 4 trips with these blokes and honest, can't explain where I started and where I am now. Should I do a course? Hell yes! But I know a lot more now about what I want from it.

Mate, there is training coming up for the Jamboree. Are you joining us next weekend? Gentle start that I would have given my eye tooth for when I was kicking off.

some of your queries I don't think need any more detail from the club for the newbie (I am one):
    a) UHF, convoy doesn't work without it. Hand held is fine. Honest though, a new 4wd-er should be able to work it out
    b) recovery points, oops. Something I failed. Didn't get ostracised though! We'll find a way to dig you out.
    C) snatch straps. Hmm, in reality I think this is about... If you need rescue, use your own snatch not someone-else's! Surely any 4wd shop will steer you through this.
    d) rated shackles, again, any 4wd shop.

oK, live axles, lockers, (I think your 'unlockers' is) sway bar disconnects... Next step. This step does not stop.

so for me... First, buy a recovery kit from a 4wd shop. Easy. Second, courses? Yes good, but hit the trails with us first and just talk. Last, OK, the "stuff". It doesn't end. One way trip to spend money. :-)

Well said dru..
    Nix, I have a handheld UHF unit to lend you this weekend. Join us.. We will look after you and your jeep.
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Nixolus View Post
    Yes, that's a good idea, and that could be in the thread also, Does SJC have a recommendation, or affiliation with a 4x4 training company?
    Depending on your experience I think a 4WD training course is a great idea.

Don't get me wrong, getting out with the club is a fantastic way of increasing your experience and confidence.
    You can see basically the same vehicle you are driving make it through an obstacle and have the confidence that you can therefore give it a go.
    You can also learn from people who have years of experience driving similar vehicles on the tracks that you are driving.
    Having this sort of a group environment is by far the best way of increasing your confidence level and gaining experience, once you have the confidence to give it a go in the first place and once you know you have the basic level of skill needed to give it a go safely. It is this last bit where I think the 4WD training courses a really worthwhile.

Going out with an experienced group as a complete novice can be very daunting, and can in some cases push you to try things that are beyond your skill level, just because you've seen everyone else do it. That doesn't always end well.
    For me, for an absolute beginner (as I was) with no 4WD'ing experience at all, I think an official 4WD'ing course is the way to go before you go out with clubs.
    I did one and this then gave me the confidence to be able to get out 4WD'ing more, be it by myself, with friends, or with a group like the SJC.
    I think it's worth it so that you know your getting a good basic grounding in all aspects of 4WD'ing, rather than just the few bits you might have encountered on one specific trip.
    You know you're going to learn the basics in a safe environment where you're not going to get yourself into any trouble.
    It doesn't teach you everything but it does give you something to relate to in most circumstances. You can then build on this basic level of knowledge during the club trips.

If you have a basic level of knowledge and experience then club trips are great but I think all novices should be actively encouraged to go on an official training course.
    Ultimately it's safer for them and for the club.

Just my 10c worth, and for the record I used Great Divide Tours for my training.
    I thought it was a good training weekend and a good introduction to all basic aspects of 4WD'ing, as well as a fun weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-JK View Post
    Depending on your experience I think a 4WD training course is a great idea.

Don't get me wrong, getting out with the club is a fantastic way of increasing your experience and confidence.
    You can see basically the same vehicle you are driving make it through an obstacle and have the confidence that you can therefore give it a go.
    You can also learn from people who have years of experience driving similar vehicles on the tracks that you are driving.
    Having this sort of a group environment is by far the best way of increasing your confidence level and gaining experience, once you have the confidence to give it a go in the first place and once you know you have the basic level of skill needed to give it a go safely. It is this last bit where I think the 4WD training courses a really worthwhile.

Going out with an experienced group as a complete novice can be very daunting, and can in some cases push you to try things that are beyond your skill level, just because you've seen everyone else do it. That doesn't always end well.
    For me, for an absolute beginner (as I was) with no 4WD'ing experience at all, I think an official 4WD'ing course is the way to go before you go out with clubs.
    I did one and this then gave me the confidence to be able to get out 4WD'ing more, be it by myself, with friends, or with a group like the SJC.
    I think it's worth it so that you know your getting a good basic grounding in all aspects of 4WD'ing, rather than just the few bits you might have encountered on one specific trip.
    You know you're going to learn the basics in a safe environment where you're not going to get yourself into any trouble.
    It doesn't teach you everything but it does give you something to relate to in most circumstances. You can then build on this basic level of knowledge during the club trips.

If you have a basic level of knowledge and experience then club trips are great but I think all novices should be actively encouraged to go on an official training course.
    Ultimately it's safer for them and for the club.

Just my 10c worth, and for the record I used Great Divide Tours for my training.
    I thought it was a good training weekend and a good introduction to all basic aspects of 4WD'ing, as well as a fun weekend.
    Well said!.......... Did the same before I came to the club for my own peace of mind and hoping not to seem to be like a complete knob on my first run out with the club, but still felt like one anyway............. Went through a Misty Mountains Tours training day at the Zig-Zag with Ken & Olga Rumble, in a quarry there which was/is closed for use normally..... Confidence & skill will come sooner then you think but you have to get out and "get dirty" to get there........... That's when the club runs really benefit a novice with like minded Jeep freaks more than ready to give a guiding hand along the way............... Use to say that your Jeep and my Jeep were better drivers than either of us, we just have to learn to catch up with it's abilities...................
    JC Member# 094

M8 come for a trip with us.... And we will guide you through anything u r not comfortabke with..... I started the same way.... We will not leave you to do any obstacle you r not comfortable with on your own..... JKs have reasonable recovery points fron and rear.... U can start with a $50 1watt hand held UHF from any shop and it will always be useful even after u get a hard mounted 5w in your car...... Rated shackles 3.2 tonnes will do from any 4wd shop..... Snatch strap 8 tonne will be ok..... Do the C grade trips to get used to your Jeep and then see what kind of mods u need to do to tackle the kind of tracks u want to drive.....

Happy Jeeping and welcome to the family.....