Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any chance of a "basics for group trips " type thread?

Visitor

What mani aka trbn8r said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visitor

Ok so this thread itself is shaping up to be a great comfort to new initiates I'm sure.

In terms of trail readiness - hardware, here's what I have so far, all bought for and used on my fateful trip to Fraser Island in the Asia Rocsta.

Tow Rope - MBS 2,850 Kg
    Snatch Strap - MBS 8,100 Kg
    Shackles, 2 of - WLL 43/4T S 3/4
    Tyre pressure gauge
    e-Z Tyre Deflater
    Oricom PMR888 handheld UHF radio (I haven't used these in a long time so I'll throw one on the charger and see if they still work).

Quick list of other things.............. 1- Tyre inflater/pump for when you need to air up again, repair a puncture, re-bead a tyre etc...2- A tyre puncture repair kit including spare wheel valves, dust caps etc for when you do need it and you mostly will at sometime off road............ 3- A reasonable tool kit always is a benefit to have for yourself and others at times...... 4- A good First aide kit, never know when you need one.......... 4- Spare batteries for your hand held if you not have a hard wired radio in the Jeep, no good being in the dark off road, is there anyone out there! (sounds like a Jeep add... lol)............. 5- VERY importantly, a very understanding other half/partner for when the Jeep bug list starts to mount up............... 6- Repeat No.5 again until you get it right................... 7- Cable ties, can keep a lot of things safely out of harms way or secure the hands of your passenger to the "Oh Shyte" hand grip/bar if required......... 8- Some type of hand cleaner after some work or play during/after a day/night out on the trails........... 9- A torch for darker times or a better look at things, also very useful in the first aide area eg, find/get out glass splinters, sand in minor cuts etc if further action not necessary etc ( to the Hospital worst case)................ 10- Repeat No.5 again until you get it right...................... 11- A good attitude, as we are all out there to have FUN...... 12- Food/drink of choice, with some water to help clear/clean head lights, blinkers, number plates etc as we do not want to give Mr. Plod. any extra reason to smile by having those functions covered in mud (also make sure you have your windscreen washer bottle pretty full as you may get a shocked/surprised added cost if empty)............... These are really in no specific order really, but you definitely you need to get No.5 right unless you are single or headed for divorce.............
    Bound to be many a little thing or two, other suggestions/ideas to add to the list........
    P.S. - Repeat No.5 again, until you get it right................
    Last edited by stevet; 25-11-14 at 01:34 PM.
    JC Member# 094

Add to the list - Some change of clothes for when you get really, really dirty ( especially underwear, you will NOT want to learn the hard way!)............. A roll of toilet paper, which may help to partly explain the previous item, but speaks for itself and is a heck of a lot softer to boot............ A couple of plastic fantastic bags to put your cruddy boots/clothes into and/or to take your rubbish back out with you instead of leaving it in the bush............ A small shovel/spade to dig yourself out of trouble or to dig a hole to get into, think about it...........
    Sunscreen, insect repellent..............
    Last edited by stevet; 25-11-14 at 01:35 PM.
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

Add to list:

1. Burrito warmer

Visitor

Hi Steve,
    I have most of those things as well,

small but bright LED torch, basic first aid kit I have, I usually carry spare clothes if I'm out for a a trip, just because of the vagaries of Aussie weather. I always carry plastic bags for rubbish, but still use the cupholders for rubbish quite a lot. , I can easily add cables ties spare batteries clothes food and water no problem. I have a generally very supportive wife so no need to repeat Step 5.

Tyre inflation device, I do have a little air pump that's supposed to run off cigarette lighter, I don't know if its enough to inflate my tyre, but it's busted, so it needs repair.
    I will need to see how a tyre can be repaired outside a tyre shop. Presumably you need some brutish tyre levers?

Hi AV8, Isn't a burrito warmer a bit of corrugated iron that's been left in the sun?

Visitor

small but bright LED torch,
    Need a few. One on you, one on pax, headtorch, magnetic type for night repairs, under dash etc, cargo area. Plenty on eBay, Supercheap, Autobarn, Bunnings

basic first aid kit I have,
    Be first aid qualified, know how to use them things, tweezers for ticks

Tyre inflation device, I do have a little air pump that's supposed to run off cigarette lighter, I don't know if its enough to inflate my tyre, but it's busted, so it needs repairs
    No repairs. Chuck that small one for later home project to inflate push bike tyres, footballs, etc. Get something like what Steve F got for his JK. I bought a fantastic one from Aldi for $99 but have since upgraded to ARB.

I will need to see how a tyre can be repaired outside a tyre shop. Presumably you need some brutish tyre levers?
    plenty of videos on youtube and talk to 4WD shop people. Go to 4WD shows, attend talks.. For now, carry that spare tyre is enough. Need a jack though.... but which one? Bottle Jack? Hi Lift? Air Bag Jack? Hi Lift doesn't. Neither does Bottle Jack. So I use the Air Bag Jack to lift the Jeep up.

Hi AV8, Isn't a burrito warmer a bit of corrugated iron that's been left in the sun?
    Any heat source will do, sun, charcoal,gas,electric,engine bay..... even love lol

Burrito Lunch Box

I bought this lunch box food warmer on eBay, $28 or something like that. It heats up food in about 3-5 minutes. Perfect, don't have to get the gas cooker, pans etc out.

Mate, you can't worry too much. You just gotta get out there and just do it as many have said. Classroom ain't the same as the real stuff. Most of the real stuff are actually easier..
    Last edited by AV8; 25-11-14 at 07:54 PM.

Visitor

I'm not too worried, I'm just dong my research because Im quite keen, but I haven't gotten out there yet becaus I've had a pregnant wife and a little one. Now my wife isn't pregnant but I seem to have two little ones. So my weekends are pretty full.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixolus View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I have most of those things as well,

small but bright LED torch, basic first aid kit I have, I usually carry spare clothes if I'm out for a a trip, just because of the vagaries of Aussie weather. I always carry plastic bags for rubbish, but still use the cupholders for rubbish quite a lot. , I can easily add cables ties spare batteries clothes food and water no problem. I have a generally very supportive wife so no need to repeat Step 5.

Tyre inflation device, I do have a little air pump that's supposed to run off cigarette lighter, I don't know if its enough to inflate my tyre, but it's busted, so it needs repair.

I learn't that you will never get No.5 right.... Remember to repeat No.5 again until you get it right....
    Ditch the little air pump, will burn out again and again......... A decent air pump will serve you well.................
    You plug the punctured tyre the same way as they do in a tyre shop, with the sealing plugs/thingies.... Works very well from experience............. You do not need the tyre levers to plug a small puncture hole but you will need that reliable air pump to air up the flat tyre again.......... Do not wait, you learn the hard way when you blow out more than 1 tyre at the same time............. Does happen more often than you may think.......... One spare tyre, 2 tyres blown, miles from nowhere............$50.00 for a good repair kit is good value/insurance.......... Definitely a must for the kit build up and peace of mind...........
    JC Member# 094

Aldi sell a good 12 volt compressor, basically the same as a Thumper but I got mine for $99.00, look out for them on special, a couple of the guys on here have them and are happy with them, just take small steps, it dosnt need to all happen at once. been there done that, Doggy..