Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited KL Active Drive 1

TRBN8R - Thanks for the welcome...
    There's a set of General Tyres AT of 235 60 18 but unfortunately they are sold out of that sized tyre Australia wide until January at least. They also have 255 55 18 and they are available.
    So basically I have 3 options, get same tyre in AT's or get one of the 2 above mentioned from General Tyres. Don't know what to do.. If I wait for the 235 60 18 I still want to get out for some light/medium 4WDriving, is that a no-no, even if you drop psi on the stock highway tyres?

It sux when you ask different 4WD guys about tyres of Jeep vehicle for example. Everyone tells you something different regarding how capable soft-roaders. But I AM convinced Jeep CHerokee KL Limited is a fairly capable crossover and with an expert driver could tackle the Simpson Sesert like the Bushranger guys did when they drove a Kia Sportage years ago

stevet -Thanks for your advice I do have a medium length very steep hill around home I will definitely give it a go with triptronic in 1st. I'll be interested to see how much it slows the engine down with light braking.. Don't know about doing it backwards though!

Passenger tyres at lower psi are fine on sand, and you won't do much damage on a beach without a lift. See if anyone is planning a Stockton beach trip. That will test the Cherokee!
    I run Bridgestone 697s on my kj, in light truck. Do they make a size for you? I've been very happy with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    TRBN8R - Thanks for the welcome...
    There's a set of General Tyres AT of 235 60 18 but unfortunately they are sold out of that sized tyre Australia wide until January at least. They also have 255 55 18 and they are available.
    So basically I have 3 options, get same tyre in AT's or get one of the 2 above mentioned from General Tyres. Don't know what to do.. If I wait for the 235 60 18 I still want to get out for some light/medium 4WDriving, is that a no-no, even if you drop psi on the stock highway tyres?

It sux when you ask different 4WD guys about tyres of Jeep vehicle for example. Everyone tells you something different regarding how capable soft-roaders. But I AM convinced Jeep CHerokee KL Limited is a fairly capable crossover and with an expert driver could tackle the Simpson Sesert like the Bushranger guys did when they drove a Kia Sportage years ago

stevet -Thanks for your advice I do have a medium length very steep hill around home I will definitely give it a go with triptronic in 1st. I'll be interested to see how much it slows the engine down with light braking.. Don't know about doing it backwards though!
    Another little training aide............ Get to know your wheelbase and where your tyres are and what they are doing/going to do on the trail.... People will steer around a rock/obstacle/etc and turn the wheel, forgetting what the rear wheels are about to encounter....... Simple method to learn awareness and maybe save a buck or two, is to adjust both of your side mirrors down so that you can easily see the back wheels, what they doing, where they are and hopefully avoid any impending tyre damage (off-road only of course)........... The rear will "track in" at low speed turns and "track out" in higher speed turns/corners etc............. Re-adjust your mirrors back for normal road use when back on-road again...........
    You may not have that much engine braking capacity seeing you do not have low range but you would normally drive down that hill in drive anyway!.... Will not hurt to try it out...
    Last edited by stevet; 04-12-14 at 05:07 PM.
    JC Member# 094

Thanks stevet.. Regarding going downhill in first, well the KL does have the world first 9 gears so maybe the 1st gear ratio is a lot lower than the standard 5-6 geared vehicles.

Bob Jane won't replace my tyres with any of the bigger 18's - They say it's over the 3% threshold & will probably rub so I'm just getting the AT in same size tyre. Skid plates next week then I'm good to go for some training

Visitor

KL does have the world first 9 gears so maybe the 1st gear ratio is a lot lower than the standard 5-6 geared vehicles.
    You should join the club if you haven't already.

We're having a look-see-ask-do weekend on the 17th-18th Jan. Be awesome to test out the Lo 1st - 9 speed.
    Last edited by AV8; 04-12-14 at 06:26 PM.

That sounds good, where is the training?

We were not allowed to call our old Driver awareness days "training day's etc" as none of us were actually a qualified/certified/accredited driver trainer and we offered no certificate upon doing the driver awareness or Partners revenge days when they (usually the wives) took over the wheel from the usual driver.............
    Still go and do your drivers course and get that off-road certificate.......... And you may have to join the club to get that answer out of me regarding the last question.......
    JC Member# 094

The club will be offering Driver Awareness sessions next year to financial club members. Training conducted in these sessions will utilise the same criteria and standard as the accredited course and after the training days you will be able to elect to complete the formal accreditation for a small fee via the NSW-ACT 4wd Association.

Both Brian and myself have been trained by the 4wd Association to conduct these Driver Awareness sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    The club will be offering Driver Awareness sessions next year to financial club members. Training conducted in these sessions will utilise the same criteria and standard as the accredited course and after the training days you will be able to elect to complete the formal accreditation for a small fee via the NSW-ACT 4wd Association.

Both Brian and myself have been trained by the 4wd Association to conduct these Driver Awareness sessions
    Cool!..............
    JC Member# 094

Hey all, Trailhawk owner here.

I'd be interested to see how the AD1 version goes. Taken my toy out a few times, Yango, ZigZag and Stockton beach. My one piece of advice.... know your tyre pressures. Road pressures of 37psi just doesn't cut it at Stockton!!!! oh and get some deflators and a good quality high volume compressor!

May just sign up for that education day too!
    Last edited by Led_Blind; 10-12-14 at 06:45 PM.