Thread: 16 inch wheels on a May 2008 built JK

Default 16 inch wheels on a May 2008 built JK

Hi Guys........

Time to pick the SJC brain trust.

I have done more than 50,000 ks on my MTZs. Another 10,000 and they will be up for replacement. 2 of my wheels are buckled and 1 almost cracked, so looking for new wheels as well.....

I am very interested in KM3s in 255 85 16 on 16X7.5-8 inch wheels. The tyres are cheap ($270) and readily available. I want to know if someone has fitted a 16 inch wheel on a 2008-2009 JK. If yes can I pls ask what brand, specifications (backspacing/offset etc) and if possible a supplier......

Thanks and cheers in advance.....

Mani

Visitor

Hi Mani,
    It'll depend on whether your JK has the larger front brakes. I think the swap was somewhere in '08 but not sure when.
    If you look at your front wheel and if the gap between you brake callipers and the wheel is large enough to get you finger in easily then you've probably got the older smaller front brakes and 16" wheels will fit.
    If you can't get your finger in (or once it's in you can't get it back out again ) then you've got the bigger brakes and 16's won't fit, or at least not unless they have ridiculous offset and stick out from the car by a mile to avoid the callipers altogether.
    By the sounds if it yours is a late '08 so I don't fancy your chances.

The change was late 2009 I think (MY10) not late 2008 so should be OK on Mani's

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Thanks Steve..... Any good brand if someone can let me know... This will be my first car with steel wheels......

Visitor

Hi Mani,

Got my Dynamic Steelies from this bloke from Melbourne. I spoke to him in the morning and the wheels were delivered at lunch time for a world record delivery.

$120 each plus $50 for delivery of all four. Mine aren't 16" however but I'm sure Glen will be able to help you out once you've decided what backspacing, bolt pattern and rim width you want.

Kingwheels are the best steel wheel out, best finish to wheels as well...... Aussie owned/made.......... Available through most tyre shops around town.......
    P.S..... www.kingwheels.com.au------- Have a look.......
    Last edited by stevet; 06-12-14 at 02:51 PM.
    JC Member# 094

G-Day Mani,

Aren,t opinions great! LOL Solid facts better!!

Steve F and Stevet right!! Paul-JK wrong!!

I have King Wheels from jax Liverpool (black) 4.5 inch back spacing on my 2007 JK, running 285/75/16 MTZs. Brake caliper size changed in 2009!

Good luck Mani
    Last edited by redrubi; 21-12-14 at 01:03 AM.

Visitor

Wrong!
    How rude!
    I'm willing to agree that I might not have been 100% correct.

Best way to check is to measure the front discs.
    It think pre-update were 302mm diameter and post-update are 332mm.........but I could be wrong

Cheers guys, Every one is right in some respect.... Will measure the disks and see if I fit the 16s...... Thanks Paul for the disk specs..... and thanks Andy for the back spacing and brand.....

Easiest way to check is if your brake disk is bigger than the dust cover its the upgrade if it's the same size it's the old type, mine is a late 09, so just missed out but will be doing this upgrade soon.
    Here's some more info;
    http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=136021

, [____],
    l----L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)-------)_)