Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerry's JK Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Kerry's JK Build

So... I can't call it "Dru's JK Build" because I would have bought a Grand Cherokee and not thought anymore about a build. But dear kerry looked at the Jeep brochures, seemed to blame me for things I was to do in the future on the fire trails and instructed we would get a Wrangler. Then it had to be a Ruby. Then I bumped into Bear at an ARB shop and all of a sudden we were in the SJC. First trip the fabled Wattagans. And a build project was born.

And how confusing is it to work through the right way to approach a JK build? To be honest, if it wasn't for a) the Wattagans as an introduction to wheeling' with the SJC; and b) a mopar front bar/winch that we got with the heap... the sensible answer to this is 33" wheels; 2.5" lift and change to flat fenders. But Kerry is not the type to do things by halves.

So the project became 3" or 3.5" lift; 35's; and we are sticking with the original fenders for now. Spent a lot of time talking to ATV working through AEV options (I like the AEV kit a lot) and to Shents talking AEV but with options put forward. Ultimately we have gone the Shents route using Synergy as a base but with other items added in and feel we got better value for money. Seem to have lost a friend at ATV in the process which is disappointing, but hell decisions have to be made, you can't keep all the people happy all the time.

I totally rate both ATV and Shents btw. We pick up the truck tomorrow. These pics are from Phil Shenton.

So I'm guessing that peeps want details here. So this is lift package:

From Synergy:
    High Steer drag link and flip adapter
    Rear sway bar links
    3" bump stops front and rear
    High clearance control arms - front upper and lower, rear upper and lower
    Chromoly tie rod
    Front trackbar bracket

Other components in this hybrid build:
    Fox shocks with resorvoir
    Dow steering stabiliser
    Flex coils front and rear, originally offered by ATV but also available from Shent. There is a change in wind as well as diameter of the coil (my terminology) which is meant to be better than the AEV 3 stage units. We will see.
    Extended brake lines
    Procal
    Terra flex rear trackball bracket

Our intent with all of this was a JK ready for B+ trails (A maybe once my skill level builds?) often on day trips for short furious wheeling' out of Sydney. If we ever take on a big tour, say the Cape or the Beadel tracks we will need to adjust the build.

Other items of importance, naturally are the feet. We chose AEV Pintel wheels (10mm offset), decided against bead locks. And they are shod with MTZs - 315/70/R17

Can_Not_Wait_To_Collect

Wow. That looks awesome niiiiiccceeee.. Monkey gum next week
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Default Kerrys JK Build

I remember waaaay back when all you had was the hockey puck lift Remember my old Blue XJ =o Glad to see you finally did a build thread

Default Kerrys JK Build

I remember waaaay back when all you had was the hockey puck lift Remember my old Blue XJ =oGlad to see you finally did a build thread

Visitor

Yeah, niiicceee x2 Dru and Kerry! Def Monkey Gum and beyond! Am liking those Foxy Res and tyres.

What do the tyres actually measure? Are they closer to 35s " or 34" ? Am sussing out tyres for Sylvia's build.
    Last edited by AV8; 06-12-14 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AV8 View Post
    Yeah, niiicceee x2 Dru and Kerry! Def Monkey Gum and beyond! Am liking those Foxy Res and tyres.

What do the tyres actually measure? Are they closer to 35s " or 34" ? Am sussing out tyres for Sylvia's build.
    Yes you are right, "35" is a loose term. A random internet tyre calculator calls the MTZs 34.4" x 12.4". So more accurate to call them 34"s

Paul and Nicholas - yes this has been a quick decision and implementation all round. We have no off street parking (my lack of manual skills didn't enter the equation, honest) so the base has to be built by a shop. We tend not to be impulsive, but once we set on something I'm a little bit aspie, add kerry's organisational skill to my fixation and it's a predictable result.

And we haven't stopped at the suspension either. ;-) More to come, but first, lets pick it up!

Jose YES to the Monkey Gum. Mani, you out there? When's the next pipeline. (Not that I'm pushy or anything!)

Visitor

Looks great.
    How fantastic it must be to get all of that in one hit.
    It's taken me 5 years to get almost that far.
    I reckon another 2 years and I'll have it set up the way I would have wanted it when I bought it!

Visitor

Looks Good, I love those tires.
    My progress will probably be slower than Paul's.

Visitor

I thought they would use a hoist, I guess the pros just flip the jeep over to do the shocks and springs, and the flip it back after?