Thread: Wooders Family Truckster

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As much for my own reference I have pulled up on AJOR a lot of what maintenance type things the previous owner of 8 years had done:
    So straight from the previous owners keyboard:

09-11-2011
    * soldered up a crack in the radiator header tank
    * fitted polyurethane spring bushes to front springs
    * again tried, and failed, to locate and stop PS pump leak. i think it is the o-ring seal in that odd plunger part in the high pressure outlet. if i could only think of how to find a replacement...

13-02-2011
    the problem: my 1981 cherokee foot brake often wont stay on.
    the solution: the problem, at its simplest, was that the pawl would not always jamb on the rachet. then sometimes it would. this is what i did..
    *removed the item from the car
    *the pivot pins for the pedal and the pawl are both rivetted in, so i ground the tops off.
    *pulled all the inner bits off. found that the pedal had badly worn grooves in its pivot pin. apparently that was causing such movement in the pedal sometimes, that the pawl just wouldnt catch.
    *cut a short piece of metal tube i had (16mmx1.2mm wall thickness) and tapped it into the hole in the pedal
    *cut a slightly longer piece of 1/2" copper water pipe to slide inside the tube. it was quite a close fit. the extra tube sits between the two parts of the whole foot pedal case; the ends of the copper pipe are flush with the outer edges of the case. it would make sense if you ever have it out.
    used a 10mm bolt to hold it all together when reassembled.
    *drilled a 6mm hole through the middle of the pawl pivot pin.
    *greased it all
    *reassembled.
    *much better! how long it lasts is another matter, but it is better than having no park brake.

27-11-2010
    rego time...
    *new rear shocks
    *new lpg tank ($930! ouch)(hadnt been checked since install in 1996, and twas rather rusty)
    *cut rusty metal from nsf floor. welded in patch
    *removed petrol tank. plated over rust in the steel cradle it sits in. repaired hairline crack in tank with epoxy and fibreglass
    *replaced the stop light bulb. why is it that every single time you take any car for a rego check, there is a stop or tail light bulb out?

21-10-2010
    this week on my FSJ cherokee...
    *removed steering column and steering intermediate shaft
    *repaired partially broken universal joint therein (see my thread on that)
    *refitted.
    *tried to adjust the steering box but only succeeded in putting a pin hole in the radiator, with the end of screwdriver
    *removed radiator and put epoxy putty over said pin hole
    *replaced transmission fluid radiator hoses

boy does that steering feel a lot better!

15-09-2010
    *put a polyurethane transmission mount in mine, and if there is any more noise due to that, i certainly cannot hear it above all the other noises!

09-05-2010
    last year, the roof rack pulled out of the roof while driving with a large mattress on the roof. i replaced those silly rubber grommet/bolt combos with 3/8" bolts through the roof rack brackets and the roof. twas a bit awkward accommodating the bolt heads, but they are now firmly affixed to the roof, with a lot of sealant to save my redone headling from further water damage. over the weekend i cut square to replace to two cross pieces, welded nuts in the end, painted, drilled holes in the existing side runners, and put em in
    we now have a roof rack that can take real loads without them ending up on the road behind the car.

11-01-2010
    removed cover plate from rear diff for second time, threw away cork gasket (as advised ), sealed with copious black rtv, and it now has stopped dripping oil. first time to the shops after that, the brake warning light came on! a look under the car indicated a fluid leak from the o/s brake line just underneath the clamp which holds it to the rear axle. went home and removed it - funnily enough, over time the clamp has pressed on the coil spring wrapping, which is supposed to protect the line, and the coils have pressed so hard into the brake line that it had fractured. cut it, put a small sleeve of tube over the two ends, brazed it, bled the brakes, back on the road.

13-10-2009
    monday: removed nsf brakes, hub, steering knuckle, and tried to figure out from a combination of Jeep Bible, Chilton's manual, and AJOR, how to put it back together properly with the new ball joints i have. had to grind down a long reach socket to remove the top ball joint adjuster sleeve.
    tuesday: the missing information about the top ball joint adjuster sleeve came from AJOR (murray), so pressed old ball joints out, new ones in, refitted knuckle. took some trial and error to convince myself i was doing it correctly, but worked out perfectly. reassembled the rest, which was amazingly, the reverse of the disassembly
    tomorrow: the other side, which will no doubt take half the time it took to do the OS..

03-06-2009
    *for the third or fourth time, opened up rear gate to replace one of the clips which holds the lifter arm, to the window. keeps popping off grrr
    *cut aluminium checker plate side panels for the cargo area and chucked the old upholstered ones.
    *removed headling boards, drilled out holes in roof rack brackets and bolted the racks to the roof with 10mm bolts. that was after one of the rails pulled out the roof recently. naturally, it wasnt so simple, as the top surface of the holes in the brackets is not flat, so sealant was required to stop water getting in. also, the rear bolts are not accessible from underneath, so drilled a hole through from under, and used socket head machine screws instead.
    funny thing i realised... despite the significant wind noise around the windscreen, and the aerodynamics of a house brick, the lateral bars on the roof rack have a flattened oval cross section. like that is going to make any difference to anything.
    *installed a CB antenna. this thing is really cool. brand name of Laser. the antenna is metallic tracking set into a contact plastic - like the tracks of window demister. it mounts vertically in the middle of the front windscreen on the inside. you can hardly see it; no issues at the car wash; nothing to vandalise. very impressed.

14-08-2008
    changing front wheel bearings

14-05-2008
    i have just put a s/h windscreen in my 1981 cherokee, using a new rubber from teamgrandwagoneer.
    But 19-05-2008 fitted a new windscreen today.
    Last edited by Wooders; 07-02-15 at 07:52 PM.