Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Capertee Saturday 16th of May 2015 :) :) :)

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Awesome day in spectacular country. Will need a couple of days to sort through pics then post.

good one Mani!

Default Trip Report Mt Airlee

Hi Guys,

Another trip report for the recce to Mt Airlee,

Attendees

1. Mani @ Trbn8r
    2. Dru & Kerry @ Dru
    3. Steve @ SteveF
    4. Gene @ Gbrednya
    5. Stephen Taylor @ SteveT
    6. Greg @ GregD @ Richmond

I reached Richmond McDonalds at about 0715 Hrs. Greg was already waiting in the car park. We had our breakfast and just then Stephen Taylor rocked up in his new monster TJ. We set off for Lithgow at about 0750. We reached Lithgow at about 0910 Hrs. Steve F, Gene and Drew joined us from Lithgow McDonalds and we headed off for Capertee from there. WE reached Capertee, said hello to Col, aired down and disconnected. While talking to Col we also got permission to run this track with our guests for Jambo 2015. Starting off I noticed the tracks that were graded before last Jambo already getting back to their original condition. We did Miraz hill as our first challenge. Every one enjoyed it and made it up without any assistance. We descended into the valley and saw more interesting descents being carved out by the recent rains. Once across the scenic bits we came across the big climb and came across Suzuki club struggling with their 4wds. We had our part lunch up there waiting for the Zooks to get up. After they cleared it we crawled up with absolutely no dramas at all. Next was Roof Rack Canyon and the climb after it. We made it across the Roof Rack Canyon without much trouble. Stephen Taylor and Steve Forster were spotting for me up the climb after The Canyon. I crashed and banged and blamed my bad driving on the long wheel base of my JKU. After numerous attempts and massive rock slider hits I finally managed to climb up. All the Jeeps after me did it without much dramas. We came across numerous other challenging climbs and then I missed the detour for the tip again. So we went through the thick scrub getting some nice pinstriping on almost all the new Jeeps. We got to the tip eventually and parked the cars. After a nice 1.5k walk we got to the Genowlan Point. People with nice cameras took some nice pics and hopefully will be posted here soon. I warned every one of the rock step on the way back and proceeded to drop right off the same copping a massive hit on the control arm drop brackets. We managed to drive down to the base without any further incidents. Aired up and were on our way home by 1730Hrs.

Observations for the track condition: The track has been chewed up a bit over the last few years and will definitely be run as a B/B+ track for Jambo 2015. This track will be limited to Live axle vehicles with 2 inch lift and 32 inch tyres as a minimum. Rock sliders will be strongly recommended for long wheelbase vehicles.

Cheers an Happy Jeeping......

Mani

Last edited by TRBN8R; 17-05-15 at 05:48 PM.

Nice to see you guys there and catch up....
    It is an awesome track!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

"B" works for me though that one obstacle after the canyon I think is "A-". Almost everyone had trouble and Mani, you weren't the only one testing out rock sliders! 11 marks out of a possible 10 to Steve (F) making the obstacle seem a Sunday picnic, cruising through on a solo attempt. Cool line, cool driving.

Wally, great to see you on the track and with a friendly bunch. That 2 stroke Zook was the bee's wang.

Yup the LJ 50 was beautiful... Hope some one grabbed a picture......

Thanks Mani, for allowing me to ride shotgun (a curious term to use when riding with Mani!), and preserving the Grand by parking it at Col's for the day.
    I'm working on some short video's, but am new at the editing, so may be a few days before I get acceptable results.
    Thanks for leading the trip Mani, and to all who drove on it. I now have a refreshed 'track' including the walk separately, for use for Jambo.
    Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mani, i thought it was shrapnel, not your diff!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you to everyone for this amazing day. Greg, thanks for vidoes and Many for organising it and guiding us through. Hope to see you all soon