Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steves Camper

Default Steves Camper

So the teardrop camper I finished in 2008 is too small for us now (youngest is six and needs some more room) and my aversion to canvas has not changed, after putting up the tent in the rain at Camp Coffs I was desperate to get back to a hard walled camper but that meant building a new one The design brief was it had to be fairly light, have a full size double and single bed, have internal seating, be able to stand up to get dressed etc and have a few niceties like a pull out kitchen, water tank and 12v electrical.

Below is what I have come up with after a week full of nights and 8 different designs, the height was the hardest bit,it has to fit in the garage and I still wanted a reasonable sized door, so it has a drop at the door and you step up into the camper. I figured this was the least likely place to drag on the ground. Wheels are stock XJ/TJ wheels with a 28" tyre. Pop top is canvas sided and lifts 40cm to give an internal headroom of just under 2m. Singe bed converts into two chairs and table and both beds have the occupants heads under the pop top to avoid any feeling of claustrophobia when sleeping.

Still need to mock up the frame etc, hoping to keep it under 900kg, my last one was 480kg so should be possible as the frame wont weigh much more and the walls will be a different construction with a foam core and thin inner and outer skin (marine ply most likely)

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Beautiful Steve! Looking forward to seeing it go up the Old Telegraph Track next year !

I think I remember that you did not take the chicken track through Gunshot Creek last time...

Dave

That's right Dave, i saw it, roof top tent and all, down the drop and no 'stick in the mud'. Imagine it's totally different now after the cyclones.

Hmm cape trip 2016..
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Quote Originally Posted by glend View Post
    That's right Dave, i saw it, roof top tent and all, down the drop and no 'stick in the mud'. Imagine it's totally different now after the cyclones.

Wont be doing that with a camper

Cheers
    Steve

Looking at fitting this coil spring setup to it to help cope with those corrugations.

Cheers
    Steve

The shell will be a fiberglass sandwich, easy to do and I can get the fiberglass in a premade gel coated sheet, a little dearer than the ply but should be easier to maintain. The frame will be steel as I have no experience or skills welding aluminium. I looked at running JK wheels but hubs are next to impossible to get, Ford hubs make it easy to get bearings or replacements anywhere and I won't be running a tyre as big as on the JK so no real advantage running the same wheels as they wont be interchangeable, ford parts are available everywhere as well

Picked up my FREE wheels and tyres this morning, 4 of them Now I can get the suspension sorted as I have the wheel offset.

Cheers
    Steve

I guess the bigger the tire, the more it would cut into your camper's space. This is an awesome project. I am looking forward to future updates.

Interested as well.. Wish I had the guts to do something like this .. Awesome stuff Steve
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselcon View Post
    Interested as well.. Wish I had the guts to do something like this .. Awesome stuff Steve
    It's not hard really just takes time, so far I have built a camper, cafe'd my CX500, made all the barwork etc on the XJ, stuck a P76 V8 in a Kombi and painted a few cars and bikes All because I couldn't bring myself to pay someone to do it and wanted to give it a go

Cheers
    Steve