So the teardrop camper I finished in 2008 is too small for us now (youngest is six and needs some more room) and my aversion to canvas has not changed, after putting up the tent in the rain at Camp Coffs I was desperate to get back to a hard walled camper but that meant building a new one The design brief was it had to be fairly light, have a full size double and single bed, have internal seating, be able to stand up to get dressed etc and have a few niceties like a pull out kitchen, water tank and 12v electrical.

Below is what I have come up with after a week full of nights and 8 different designs, the height was the hardest bit,it has to fit in the garage and I still wanted a reasonable sized door, so it has a drop at the door and you step up into the camper. I figured this was the least likely place to drag on the ground. Wheels are stock XJ/TJ wheels with a 28" tyre. Pop top is canvas sided and lifts 40cm to give an internal headroom of just under 2m. Singe bed converts into two chairs and table and both beds have the occupants heads under the pop top to avoid any feeling of claustrophobia when sleeping.

Still need to mock up the frame etc, hoping to keep it under 900kg, my last one was 480kg so should be possible as the frame wont weigh much more and the walls will be a different construction with a foam core and thin inner and outer skin (marine ply most likely)

Cheers
Steve