Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steves Camper

Added the suspension mockup to my sketches so I could ensure there were no issues with the drop door step and water tank location etc, also added the outriggers and can start calculating the frame weight a bit better

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Made some changes, need to make all the decisions before I start building. After pricing a few things in regad to the pop top I've decided to go with a clam shell top, cheaper, stronger (piano hinge down one side means no alignment issues, and it can use two gas struts for the lift. Also decided to skin in aluminium composite but a single sheet that does the whole side is too expensive, so went with two sheets (one white, one green) with the join hidden with a black aluminium strip to make it a feature Decided to adjust the rear bar to tie it into this strip as well. Going back to a beam axle too, much cheap than the independent and the simplicity of a well setup beam axle out weighs the cost and complexity of the independent for what I want it for.

Cheers
    Steve

Steve that's a roof design very similiar to my camper. One issue that you will need to address is weather sealing while underway. Mine doesn't leak when stationary but if its raining heavily while being towed, water can force its way past my thick weather strip seals - essentially around the front leading edge where the air pressure will be greatest. In mine I have a storage shelf that extends across the inside front panel which catches water comng in past that seal. Looks good.

Yep weather sealing is always tricky, I was planning on having a raised lip behind the seal that goes up into the roof cavity with a second seal on it so any water would have to go past the first seal, up and past the second seal. Hopefully that would be enough to stop it. There's also be the soft top tent material to get past, maybe even a wind deflector mounted on the body that the roof leading edge drops down behind, lots of options

Cheers
    Steve

Steve wheels need to come back more
    Cheers Danny