Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TJ defect notice

where can I go to get certified for the 33" tyres, my TJ had 35" tyres when I purchased it 5 years ago, and I went smaller as it seemed to be struggling with the bigger tyres.

The specs you need to comply with are in particular VSI 06 and VSI 09

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safe...fications.html

For Bullbar compliance check this spec sheet
    http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....tolerances.pdf

Can't find any thing specific about the gas bottle but suspect it has to do with carrying flammable gas 2 on the rear is against safety regulations.

Not sure who does certification - you will probably need to do a swerve test etc Miraz (Geoff) might be able to help.

Gas bottle transportation is covered in ANZIGA Guideline 4,

http://docs.airliquide.com.au/ChainO...uideline_4.pdf
    Last edited by glend; 25-04-15 at 07:58 AM.

Have added a couple of photos to the clubs face book page, (the photos I tried to add to the forum in my first post), I think I was hard done by, there are a lot of vehicles out there worse than mine
    Last edited by snoik; 25-04-15 at 04:22 PM.

Visitor

Not sure about the bumper width though, it covers only half the tyres on each side.

What's the biggest tyre spec for your TJ? If it's 30" then, you are only allowed 32" max.

I still do not agree with the placement of your gas bottle there at the back of the Jeep, however convenient. There is a risk of explosion from being rear ended and direct exposure to the sun. I'm no expert but I don't see any collar at the top, at the neck of the gas tank. Is there a possibility of the tank becoming loose from an impact or collision?

LPG

Last edited by AV8; 28-04-15 at 06:19 PM.

G'day AV8,,

There is no tyre placard on the jeep, not sure where it's supposed to be, that's another thing the inspector picked up on, he couldn't find one, at least he let me off for that, so I'm not sure what tyre size was standard.

I can't see in the standard where it says you can't put the bottle on the back, the mount I made is very strong, being made from 50x6 flat bar, and rolled the diameter of a 4kg bottle, the clamp is bolted and has nyloc nuts, so it won't come loose, I don't leave the bottle on there all the time, only when going camping, it is only used for a BBQ, I have no intention of putting the bottle in the cabin, and if you put it on the roof rack it will have more exposure to sunlight.
    The inspector made no mention of the gas cylinder, it was the highway patrol officer, he got me for the gas bottle on the back and having 4 driving lights, he said you are only allowed 2, the inspector got me for the front bar and tyres.

How did you put the pictures on your post.
    regards
    Andrew
    Last edited by snoik; 28-04-15 at 08:37 AM.

Visitor

Like I said, I'm no expert, just a personal opinion. If you really want the answer, you prolly won't get it here, you have to walk in to a RMS inspection office, police or whoever the authorities are, get the right documentation and argue your case. Everything else is just a guide, hopefully pointing you in the right direction. I have posted a link to certified RMS engineers in an earlier post, they do this for a living, so I'd go see them first.

From what I've read, transporting LPG is quite dangerous and there isn't anything about carrying the bottles outside the vehicles. Personally I'd be more inclined to carry a dual fuel cooker or other alternative.

To post piccies, upload them to a photo sharing website such as photobucket. Then

view the pic,
    copy img link and
    paste it in your post.

All the best
    Last edited by AV8; 28-04-15 at 06:17 PM.

Visitor

Default TJ defect notice

Just find a good rego bloke and get the defect lifted and don't take a 4x4 to tuff truck
    Been there done that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hhate to say it but just looking at the front pic I count a few possible. issues. These might or might not be picked up:
    1. Forward putrusions from the front bumer.
    2. Heim joints on steering also I believe castlated nuts are required
    3. Over 400mm width from edge of headlight.
    4. Uneven number of forward lights ( not sure if this rule has been updated yet due to light bats).
    5. Tyre size over allowed placard (check door james and glovebox).
    6. Possible track increase ov err allowance.
    Last edited by Wooders; 29-04-15 at 01:31 AM.

you might be right, maybe I'm lucky he didn't pick me up on these things, I have checked your points.
    1.forward protrusions are recovery points that protrude 50mm
    2. it had Heim joint, but they got tight very quickly, it now has rebuildable TRE fromEMF rod ends and steering components
    3.it is exactly 400mm from the edge of the light to the edge of the flare
    4.there are 5 extra light on the front, the driving lights work with the high beam and the light bar has a separate switch which can operate any time, I only use this when driving in the scrub, but they could pick me on this. also have small light bars facing backwards for scrub driving.
    5.tyre placard was in the glove box, I've had this Jeep for 5 years now and didn't ever notice it, tyre size states P225/75R15, not sure of outer diameter of these compared to 33's
    6.track increase should be minimal, it's only bugger tyres, no spacers.

suppose I'll just get it checked out and see what happens

CANADIAN made by us in our own shop