Thread: Hi All. I'm looking at a set of rock sliders for my KL Trailhawk. There is th...

Visitor

Default Hi All. I'm looking at a set of rock sliders for my KL Trailhawk. There is th...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hamma; 29-05-15 at 12:19 PM. Reason: I don't know what I'm doing

Visitor

It would help if I knew what I was doing on here...
    The rest of it is:
    There is an option to ad side steps that will end up protruding beyond the line of the wheels by about 100mm.
    Does anyone know if that will get me into trouble with the powers that be?

I don't see a problem with 100mm that won't be much more than the flares. Normally they stick out to protect the door, which curves out.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

I have Rock Lizard Super Skink rock rails on my KJ which are far enough out (at least 100mm) and provide a nice step (when non-slip tape is on top). Never been pulled up and they are great for carpark protection. Be aware that good ones are heavy suckers and need to be through bolted to the chassis box section and backed up by plate steel as well as bolted through the pinch weld as they are designed to support the vehicle hung up on a rock. However, if these are just cosmetic and do not have good underbody support they may get ripped off when you go offroad.
    If these are a factory part addon then they would be legal.
    Last edited by glend; 29-05-15 at 06:26 PM.

Visitor

They are from a third party supplier in the US - Rocky Road outfitters. They have some nice gear for the KL that I can't see anywhere here. I guess we don't have enough KLs on the road here to make it worthwhile for the local suppliers.
    I'm interested in a stronger roof rack system that looks pretty good and they also do a front bar with winch that looks pretty good too, but I'd need to figure out what to do with the number plate.

Visitor

If I get the winch, I'd go with an LED light bar instead of the 2 spotties.

Many USA bars are technically illegal here. Must be ADR compliant. Better check what's possble first.

Visitor

In term of legalities, I'm not sure how the bar in the photo would be classified.
    It's not a replacement bumper so many of the usual ADR's wont apply any (full width, cover the wheels, blah, blah, blah).
    In legal terms it is probably closer to a nudge bar than a bull bar.

Regardless it will not be ADR tested so it will likely be technically illegal in Aus (as most bars are) but I can't see anything obviously that it would bring it into question. It doesn't have additional recovery points. It doesn't have a stinger bar. It doesn't have any sharp edges or protrusions.
    Probably the biggest thing to check for your own safely is whether it is tested and proven not to adversely affect the air bags or the other myriad of electronic sensors modern cars have.