Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newnes NP D Grade Reccie

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Newnes NP D Grade Reccie

WHERE: Newnes National Park
    WHEN: Sat 4th July
    MEET: Richmond Macdonalds
    TIME: 7:30 am we'd really like to be underway by 7:45 so get in early if you want Breakfast.
    GRADE: D

REQUIREMENTS: Radio and Jeep, that's it. Lunch, walking shoes. Recovery really shouldn't be an issue.

Bring maps and Nav/mapping tools if you've got them. Bring questions. If we can't answer we will follow up later.

Edit: Bring a torch if you want to walk the glow worm tunnel. Walk will take about an hour there and back, easy walking suitable for kids.

The idea for this trip is to help everyone who wants to assist Jamboree - but is not yet familiar with the trails. We will talk about where we are and what is around us. How to get from A to B. We will drop by ZigZag on the way up, the usual entry point from Sydney, but we'll keep on going to Lidsdale which is the start point during Jamboree.

We'll show you a sneaky short cut into Newnes NP from Lidcome, and then the usual entry to Blackfellows hand. And how to get out via ZigZag.

Let us know what you want: Maiyngu Marragu Rock (Black fellow's hand), Lost City, Glow Worm Tunnel, and Garden of Stones, are all possibilities. Maybe poke our nose in to the start of Spanish Steps too. Time may not let us do it all, so prioritise and we'll tick what is important to you.

Numbers are flexible depending on interest.

ATTENDING:
    1: Dru and Kerry, dru, JK
    2: Dan, DanD
    3: Dennis, jk_menace, JKU
    4: Rich, RichHenning, JKU
    5: Bee + kids, TBC
    6: Dushan, TBV
    7: Steve, SteveT
    8:

cheers

Dru
    Last edited by Dru; 02-07-15 at 09:45 PM.

Visitor

Gday Dru, that sounds like a pretty cool day out, please put me down - I'm in lower blue mountains though so will meet up with you at Lithgow - any suggestions on where to wait for the convoy on the day?

Catch us at the ZigZag railway car park. I'll check times but we'd be there at 9:00.

Great at to have you on board.

Visitor

Dru sounds good. Like to say I'm in as I haven't done that area before. I need to check the date of a previously arranged appointment date before I can commit.

Have you considered doing 2 or 3 separate trips to cover all those locations you've mentioned?

Cheers Rob
    Last edited by uncaged123; 28-06-15 at 10:46 PM.

Rob, I'm an impatient man.

I'd be happy to do a repeat for the bits that get missed.

It's not quite as busy as it seems though. We are simply looking to the main graded trails through the area - the central hub in, out and through Newnes NP. To get your bearings, sometimes an "overview trip" is a good place to start.

I'd be happy to repeat, but let's see how we go on this one.

[Edit - JPeg added] Hopefully this is legible. Another edit - JPEG moved to the Jamboree section.

Rob, The idea is to drive past Zig Zag, Lithgow, the short cut. Fill up Lidsdale. Off the bitumen at Blackfellow's Hand, to Glow Worm, then exit by Old Coach onto the bitumen. It really is only an extra hour compared to just doing Glow Worm.
    Last edited by Dru; 08-07-15 at 04:29 PM.

Visitor

Hi Dru, sounds great put us down please. I'm not familiar with the area so the more experience I get the better prepared I'll be come Jambo. I'll be traveling from Sydney Great Western Hwy, where is the best place to meet up and time.
    Cheers mate
    Dennis

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by jk_menace View Post
    Hi Dru, sounds great put us down please. I'm not familiar with the area so the more experience I get the better prepared I'll be come Jambo. I'll be traveling from Sydney Great Western Hwy, where is the best place to meet up and time.
    Cheers mate
    Dennis
    Zig Zag car park for 9am

Visitor

Dennis, use the Bell crossover road at or near Mt Victoria, then turn left at Bell toward Lithgow. The Ziczac parking area isn't that far down the road.

Hopefully I'll be able to make it, cheers Rob

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by uncaged123 View Post
    Dennis, use the Bell crossover road at or near Mt Victoria, then turn left at Bell toward Lithgow. The Ziczac parking area isn't that far down the road.

Hopefully I'll be able to make it, cheers Rob
    Thanks Rob, Get better soon hope to see you there.
    cheers Dennis

Denis, as per Rob and Dan, ZigZag is the spot. I'll see if I can insert a google earth pic - not tonight though.