Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sat 15th/Sun 16th of August Rydal and Jenolan D to B Reccies

I have 10 hours of dash cam video so have edited a couple of the climbs and am putting on the Jambo facebook site at the moment.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Cheers Steve F, had a great time today. Thanks Steve C and Alex for spotting me on the climb when it got a bit tricky.

Visitor

Few pictures from today's D-grade recce (download from the link):
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0sose76n7...HBAQYW0Na?dl=0

This D-trip has it all - rolling hills, several very moderate water crossings, fantastic view of the countryside, waterhole good enough for kids splash/swim (in their woolies), picnic area with toilets, ... and of course a bush-walk to that awful, stomach churning bridge . Perfect for a family day out.

Secretary

Thanks for a great day Teshie, Dusan and Dennis.

Here's a link to my Dropbox folder. May contain disproportionate number of pics of my jeep and boy!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c3b3mn54u...2-IrS_sUa?dl=0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Visitor

Thanks everyone for a great weekend. Did anyone get a hema log of day one track? Some how i stuffed up and forgot to save it at the end of day one. Duh!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Visitor

Thank you to everyone for a great weekend. Although one night camping is never enough.
    cheers
    Dennis

Club Member

Dennis, Will and I checked out the Kanangra Walls on Saturday, a long Grade D run but well worth it. Some notes and Pics are below :

9:45 Departed Rydal, right turn near Hampton onto winding Jenalon Caves Road, lovely views along the way.

10:45 Reached Jenalon Caves Road Carpark 2 (approx 60kms from showground), a short break. Toilets are available there and a short walk to a fantastic view of the caves.

11:00 commenced the climb on tar up towards Edith, took half a dozen steep switchbacks before getting to top and soon took a left turn onto Kanangra Walls Rd. This is unsealed with few tricky potholes, but mainly graded and good condition.

Noon, we arrived at Kanangra walls carpark (approx 85kms from showground). Toilets are available there and some undercover picnic \ bench area too. We took a 15 min easy flat stroll to the lookout... and WOW !

Got a little adventurous and kept walking further where we came to steps leading down to the waterfall, decided to check it out. Little did we know that it was 400+ steps down & same number of steps up !

Nice waterfall and lush green indeed.

But what goes down, has to come back up. It is a Grade B walk up without an ounce of doubt !!!

1:30pm we departed Kanangra walls carpark and took a left turn onto a rather eeire track named Morong Creek trail which had a few large bog holes that we examined for depth before crossing... track led us to the Kowmung river crossing, which upon inspection looked interesting at exit point.

We checked the river depth and decided to give it a go, found that none of us had trouble crossing it. River can be up after rain though. So maybe a stock may have some issues. We can discuss.

Let me know if the video link below does not work.

After crossing the river we turned right onto Kowmung river fire trail, which is a lovely lush green graded track... dodging a few puddles, surviving a crazy swirl and a couple of kangaroos we finally made it back to the main Kanangra Walls rd back and then back on tar to Jenalon caves carpark 2 at around 3pm. Drive from there to showground is about an hour so back at the showground at 4pm.

Overall, this is a full day long run with great views and facilities \ breaks along the way. An easy and a difficult bush walk. As an option, we could add an interesting loop to add that river crossing. A trip that we can consider for the Jambo. I will upload maps for this in the next couple of days.

cheers
    ritesh