Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount Airlie Saturday 9.4.16 B Grade

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default TRIP FULL Mount Airlie Saturday 9.4.16 B Grade

Apologies but this trip is full and the reserve list is closed.

Please ensure your jeep is washed and mud-free to avoid risk of phytopthera infection in this sensitive State Conservation Area.

Where:
    Mugii Murum-ban AKA MOUNT AIRLIE

Grade: B Grade

When: Saturday 9th April

Meet: Capertee Convenience Store

Owned by the family of an SJC member, I'm sure they'd appreciate you getting in early and starting with breakfast.
    (Will, hope the coffee is good!)

Time: 9:30am for departure 10:00am sharp - it's a three hour drive from Balmain for us, but that's plenty of time to get there guys. If you wanted to stay on Friday night there is a pub in Capertee that I believe offers rooms.

Convoy up: Dave has offered to lead a convoy up from Richmond Macca's. 7:00am leaving 7:30am. If you want a Macca brekkie make sure you get there early enough to not hold up departure.

Requirements: This is a B grade trip so attendees should understand - even with a well prepared jeep, damage is possible. To be fair, most of the track is C+ but there are definite B grade pinch points and there are no bypasses and no chicken tracks, and precious few spots to park up.

Recommended is 2" lift, Muds or good ATs, robust rock rails (I have never managed this trip without at least seriously testing the rock rails!). Good articulation is advised. Required is: recovery points Front/Rear; recovery gear. Radio, food/drink of choice, camera. The final track through the stunted she-oak forest is overgrown (before we park up at the heath), expect scratchy branches.

This run is Limitedto : now over-subscribed - list closed.

Contact Details: Dru Spork 0419 855 121

Further info:
    There is a reasonable chance that this trail will be forever lost to us some time this year. If you haven't run it, I can tell you that you do want to. The trails were carved by Col Ribaux, diamond miner who has championed responsible access. NSW National Parks have reclaimed the mining lease and the draft Plan of Management looks to close the best part of the challenging drive.

The track is only 7k each way but it is a lot of fun, and can take a whole day if we need to do a lot of guiding. If not we get longer for lunch and get out a little earlier.

It's about a 2k walk at the top though a unique highlands heath - Endangered Ecological Community. At the end are the critically endangered wild pea Pultenaea sp Gonowlan Point and the most spectacular views west of Sydney. The track winds it's way through rock Mesa formations which have been dubbed "the 300 Sisters" a reference to the lessor Blue Mountains.

Mugii Murum-ban means "mopoke owl" in the local dialect and was the Aboriginal name of Charlie Reilly who the State Conservation Area is named after.

My sincere thanks to Manni (TRBN8R) for introducing us to this one, we hope to pass on the favour to others.

Attending:

1. dru: Dru'n'Kerry, JK
    2. stevet: Stephen Taylor, TJ
    3. Will98: Will, JK
    4. Jeep11: Steve and Hayley, JK
    5. uncaged123: Rob, JKU
    6. dobbo56: Doggy Dave, JK
    7. redrubi: Andy and Charl, JK
    8. Xjeepers: Stu, JKU
    9. Isherz: "Mako Shark" aka John and Di, JK
    10. Nekked: Alex, JKU
    11. Rupicon: Roop, TJ
    12. Mohawk: Nick, JK
    13. Hills4x4: Sam, JK

Reserve list: Closed, no more takers on this trip guys, sorry about that.

Cheers

Dru'n'Kerry
    Last edited by Dru; 08-04-16 at 10:04 AM.

Nice one Dru. Would love to come along but thinking the old XJ might be a little under the requirements for the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't want to miss out so put me down for now but I may need to pull out a little closer.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Yes please!!.......
    Stephen T.
    JC Member# 094

Sounds great Dru, put me down!
    I'll have the coffee machine ready to go!

Cheers Will

Please put me down, I have rescheduled my hairdressing appointment. Hopeful the jeep is in one piece still after camp Coffs
    Steve and Hayley

Pulling out already!!! Just realised we are going camping at Colo that weekend.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Names on the list already. Pity Steve (F)
    Nash, I think you'd be fine mate.

Sorry Dru can't attend as we will be at Bylong with work mates. But will like to add for the people who haven't been there before that coffee and food at Will's servo is brilliant. We had lunch there on the way back from camping with workmates and it is also worth stopping for brekky in the morning and a coffee and brownie on the way back.....
    Last edited by TRBN8R; 10-03-16 at 07:33 AM.

Visitor

Hi Dru, should be well enough to tackle this trip. Please put me down as a likely possible. I'll get your opinion on my rock sliders at the next meeting.

Cheers Rob