Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount Airlie Saturday 9.4.16 B Grade

I've always been a fan of the tread lightly philosophy, sadly so many aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

The first thing to note is that Mount Airlie is actually the name of the diamond mine activities created by Col Ribaux. His main activities were on a plateau slightly to the south of the famous track which we call Mt Airlie. It is actually named Point Genowlan.

Col Ribaux excited with nearly 30 jeeps climbing his tracks at Jeep Jambo.

This is the key critically endangered species that requires environmentally subtlety by 4WD clubs. It's pretty much the same as a generic Bush Pea, but there are only 200 plants that still exist, and they are all at the end of our track in a 200m radius. For obvious reasons it is called Pultenaea species Genowlan Point.

The ecologist reports suggest that it is pretty rare to find it in flower.

The bush pea is reasonably prevalent as far as i can work out, and while I am not an evolutionary ecologist, what seems to be the process is - eons ago a rather widespread species has been broken into discrete populations as the landscape changed and gets weathered away. As these discrete populations are separated and can not cross pollinate, they become candidates for technical identification as a distinct species. So Pultenaea sp Genowlan Pt
    is by definition critically endangered because it is almost, but not quite, identical to a generic bush pea.

Seems to be a living dodo, attempts to transplant it into horticultural gardens in the Blue Mountains have failed. There is suggestion that the seeds require fire to become fertile. Of course no-one is game to do it. Under global warming theory, this is an exemplar situation for the challenge to bio diversity. In theory as things get warmer species can always migrate further south, or to higher altitude. But this requires a replicating population and somewhere higher to go. Dodo.

But don't judge me as an environmental troglodyte, there is a lot more going on in this very special place and we most definitely need to protect this pea. Each one is protected behind a cage and the area is trellised. It is where the very best views are, so noting that everyone will be on particularly aware environmental sensitivity, we still get to see this:

More to come...

Visitor

Just replaced my shockies with tough dogs, on the recommendation of the mechanic who services my jeep . I'll be keen to see how they perform on the track.

I'll be seeing my friend Luis (who generally come along with me on most trips) regarding making a second set of sliders to fix to the chassis.

Cheers Rob
    Last edited by uncaged123; 13-03-16 at 01:42 PM.

Visitor

This one will have to wait until I can fit a set of sliders and get some more lift (it is possible on a KL, apparently).

I will be in for this if anyone drops out Dru. Or if you want to throw commonsense out the door and increase the numbers :P
    Last edited by XJeepers; 14-03-16 at 09:38 AM.

Stu, we wouldnt leave you behind. List updated.

OK team, from here additional names means splitting the group.

Dru and Kerry

Hey Dru John & I would love to come put us down in reserves and if someone drops out we might get the opportunity thx Di

Updated, Di.

Part of what makes this part of the world so special is the underlying rock. Largely sedimentary sandstone, but with thin layers of ironstone. Ironstone is just a sandstone with ironoxide in it. The ironstone is tougher and weathers more slowly leaving mushroom shape caps over the rock. They are very friable - look, don't touch!

Looking over the mesa from Genowlan Point mesa to Mt Airlie mesa in the background.

The track runs through the pagodas.

Nature Conservation Groups, eg Colong Foundation would like to see vehicles banned to avoid damage to the pagodas. What they miss is that it is a track. Wear on a track is not damage to the pagodas. They might have argued against the building of the track in the first instance, but it isn't growing back now. We'll need to take care in spots to avoid scraping the rock walls. And tread carefully to minimise wear and tear on the track.

And as we can see different rules apply to the tree huggers - apparently damage is acceptable if you tread on it.

We of course, will avoid any damage to these beautiful natural structures. Everyone needs to avoid walking off piste, and definitely no driving other than on the track.

Hope everyone is looking forward to this as much as we are!

More to come...
    Last edited by Dru; 15-03-16 at 11:13 AM.

Here's a decent bit of video from just a couple of weeks ago showing the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFRddW7ch4k

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076