Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount Airlie Saturday 9.4.16 B Grade

Hi Dru what time are we meeting at caper tree? Thx J & D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

John and Di - please check the details on the first post with list etc. (But here is the bit you are after!)

Meet: Capertee Convenience Store
    Time: 9:30am for departure 10:00am sharp - it's a three hour drive from Balmain for us, but that's plenty of time to get there guys. If you wanted to stay on Friday night there is a pub in Capertee that I believe offers rooms.

Nekked, would you mind getting back to my PM?
    Mohawk, PM sent as well.

Thanks everyone!

Dru'n'Kerry

9.30 at Capertee, for a 10.00 departure, I will be at Richmond Macca's at 7.00am leaving at 7.30 for Capertee. Doggy Dave.

So, I'm going to ignore "the Grotto" and "Jurasic Park" areas at the base of this trip - wait for the trip. But up again on the Genowlan Point plateau we have ANOTHER ecological wonder - Allocasuarina nana Heathland - or we can call it the Nana Heathland. Often described as "other-worldly" it's a special experience. And another check in the whole global warming thing. Unlike the bush pea, this is an entire ecological community - an endangered ecological community to be sure. But as a community with some considerable bio-diversity, we hope this one is no dodo and will have strength to survive.

The grass trees particularly add interest to the heath. heaths do pop up across the central tablelands, but this one really does stand out.

Threats are 4WD vehicles (which will NOT be us) and a bug/virus phtopthera cinnamon. This virus can be tracked in by foot and on vehicles. This means All jeeps must be washed and mud free. And please avoiding travelling through any parks and other tracks before we head up the mountain. Any travel dirt from driving up is fine, but no bog holes etc before we exit the bitumen to Mt Airlie.

One final community for everyone to think about. Not critical, threatened or endangered, quite common, but something we will want to conserve. The "Grey Gum Shrubby open Forest" which wraps around the nana Heath. This provides woody vegetation for termites. And means there is a healthy community of these guys:

All photos are actual photos from trips to Mt Airlie, though we have only seen the echidnas on one trip. You will definitely see where they have been foraging if you look for it.

This is a very special place, we are delighted to share it. By the way - the driving challenge is huge fun as well!

All the very best

Dru'n'Kerry
    Last edited by Dru; 30-03-16 at 10:36 PM.

Put me down please..
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

See front page for updated trip list. Previous reserve list has been added to the group - down to and including Jose, and the list is now closed. And no, there is not room for replacements if someone pulls out, just the group gets a little "less large".

If anyone's situation changes and you can't make it after-all, that would be great to know. It's turned into a larger group than is probably ideal for this track - as a positive though, the group includes an impressive number of very experienced jeepers. So, knock on wood, we'll be absolutely fine. LOL.

The only real challenge is if others are on the trail. So we need to be underway on time and try to be the first on the mountain.

See you all there!

Dru'n'Kerry
    Last edited by Dru; 31-03-16 at 04:42 PM.

Visitor

Looking forward to this planning to meet at capertee in the TJ
    Cheers Roop

Visitor

Jose, pumped to have you on the trip!!! Hopefully bringing rampage?

Will, excited to be meeting at the servo/cafe, there better be brownies! I'm saving up to buy a slab. I think this is what I'm most excited about...

Haha, yeah I'll have plenty ready for you Alex!

We will need a good scrub down prior as we have plenty of Camp Coffs mud after 5 days of wheeling....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk