Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JK Exhaust

Default JK Exhaust

Hi All
    I am thinking of upgrading the exhaust but wanted to get some opinions on brands and distributors. The aim is to get a bit more fuel economy but also the sound and aesthetics.

I was looking at something like the Dynomax but cant find it here in Aus and I cant justify the US shipping costs.

http://www.dynomax.com/single-2-5-ca...ffler-696.html

There's always Liverpool Exhausts but I am worried about the workmanship and quality of the system plus I don't want it too loud as it is the daily driver as well.

As you would expect the aim is to keep the price down as much as possible but not to the detriment of quality.

Any help with this is appreciated.
    Piero

I would look for something that doesn't have the huge muffler at the back, my eventual plan is to replace the exhaust as well and then cut out the small storage box at the rear under the floor and extend it down to accommodate my batteries (in there at the moment) but also on board air. Other than that I'm no help But am interested in what way you go.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

I got a low profile one put on with the exhaust tip finishing right near the chassis rail to avoid it getting squashed - I'll dig up some pics and post them up later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    I got a low profile one put on with the exhaust tip finishing right near the chassis rail to avoid it getting squashed - I'll dig up some pics and post them up later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would be really handy.

Visitor

I just wanted the big muffler reduced in size and said that to the blokes at the muffler shop - cost around $200 from memory to have it done and only took an hour (quiet morning at their shop) has a nicer tone to it than the standard exhaust and not too annoying

Dan, was that a cat back or axel back? $200 is cheap compared to what I have been seeing.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Peo View Post
    Dan, was that a cat back or axel back? $200 is cheap compared to what I have been seeing.
    No idea to be honest, I just said that I wanted the big can at the back gone and replaced with a smaller one - its still all the original jeep plumbing throughout - all they did was take the old muffler off (and into the bin to go off to the scrap metal people) and put the new one at the back on with the exhaust angled how I wanted it - pretty sure that there is another muffler further up towards the front so may go back one day and discuss the effects of having that one removed

so axle back then.
    We'll financial controller has said I need to hold off on this one so will have to pick this one up in a few months.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Peo View Post
    so axle back then.
    We'll financial controller has said I need to hold off on this one so will have to pick this one up in a few months.
    I'm ignorant of this cat back and axle back stuff - am assuming that cat back means that the only muffler is up closer to the engine whereas axel back means theres a (or another) muffler near the back axle? Or am I way off the mark?

Cat + catalytic converter, it is a little pot type muffler at the very front of the exhaust, i think one on each branch, these convert deadly gasses into not so deadly gasses, and smell like rotten egg gas until the car has warmed up, most sports type exhaust systems are "cat" back because the cats are VERY expensive to replace. No roadkill jokes please Dan..