Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria High Country "Unfinished Business" first week of January 2017

Default Victoria High Country "Unfinished Business" first week of January 2017

Victoria High Country - January 2017

As you may know, the Vic High Country Trip in January 2016 had to miss some of the planned route because it rained. A lot. So we have Unfinished Business! I'd like to get to the bits we missed, and do some more as well!

In brief the plan is;

Monday 2 January - Sydney to Nug Nug Reserve (just South of Myrtleford - Victoria) - 634km
    This is a relatively long drive, but do-able in a day. Or - I'm thinking about leaving Sydney on Sunday afternoon and spliting the journey. Camp at Gundagai River Caravan Park on Sunday night, then get to Nug Nug earlier on Monday and enjoy the surroundings.

Tuesday 3 January - Nug Nug to Howqua Hut Mt Stirling via Wild Horse Gap Track and Craigs Hut - 100km

Wednesday 4 January - Howqua Hut to Wonnangatta via Zeka Spur - 82km

Thursday 5 January - Wonnangatta to Dargo - 85km

Friday 6 January - Local trip near Dargo Including Billy Goat Bluff - 100km

Saturday 7 January - Dargo to Omeo via Blue Rag Range - 161 km

Sunday 8 January - If you need to get home by Monday it is 739km to Sydney from Omeo via Tallangatta and Albury. Or - we get back on the dirt from Omeo and head East to McKillops Bridge on the Snowy River - 134km

Monday 9 January - McKillops Bridge to Pambula via Bombala - 200km

Tuesday 10 January - Pambula to Sydney - 526km

TOTAL DISTANCE - 2022km

This is a serious 4WD tour. Difficult driving on C and possibly B grade dirt tracks, with spectacular scenery. This is a mountainous area and we will be covering some steep climbs and descents, winding roads and many creek and river crossings. Some camping will be in caravan parks with all amenities, most in National Parks camping areas with minimal facilities.

Open to 4WD Jeeps with High and Low Range only. If you have to tow, off-road camper trailers only. Trailers are not recommended in many of these areas.

Please consider, and post up on this thread if you are interested. If you would like more information, I will have a full itinerary at Club meetings from July, and can send a PDF copy to anyone that PMs me with their email address. Given the tracks and distances we could manage up to 10 Jeeps.

Definites

1 GregD & DaveG (passenger) will meet at Gundagai on 1st
    2 Dennis - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
    3 Wayne & Julie - meeting at Gundagai on 1st
    4 Steve & Hayley - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
    5 Dusan - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd
    6 Teshie - meeting at Nug Nug on 2nd

Maybes
    RobS

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 30-12-16 at 12:10 PM.

Would loved to come but we are booked for Frazer island till the new year already... J & D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by isherz View Post
    Would loved to come but we are booked for Frazer island till the new year already... J & D

D'oh! Oh well, there is always the possibility of Cape York in Sept/Oct (teaser )

That will be a definite for us!!!!

Visitor

Hi Dave, I'm like Isherz. I been hanging out for your advice of a other highland trip. But as I didn't hear anything I booked my campsite at Fraser Island. If you were to run it the third week in January I'll be in it for sure. It'll be a continuation of a great holiday. Sunny Qld one week Vic the next. Lol

Await your advice. Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by uncaged123 View Post
    Hi Dave, I'm like Isherz. I been hanging out for your advice of a other highland trip. But as I didn't hear anything I booked my campsite at Fraser Island. If you were to run it the third week in January I'll be in it for sure. It'll be a continuation of a great holiday. Sunny Qld one week Vic the next. Lol

Await your advice. Cheers Rob
    Sorry Rob, we discussed at the club meeting in June and I had itineraries at the July meeting last night, but unfortunately we haven't seen you at the last couple of meetings. I don't usually get trips organised or 'out there' much more than 6 months in advance, and I reckon that Fraser Island will be a great alternative anyway!

The first week of January seems to suit most people as many have that week off work anyway after Christmas / New Year. I can't do 3rd week of Jan either...

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 07-07-16 at 02:10 PM.

Visitor

Ok, thanks Dave

Visitor

We are in. Thanks Dave

Hi Dave, count us in thanks.
    Wayne & Julie
    Wayne & Julie Atto - WK2

Steve and Hayley will be attending this adventure