Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocket's TJ

Visitor

Default Rocket's TJ

Hi guys, please let me introduce you to my little TJ. (Still looking for a name for it, it'll come eventually). I've had a few 4bys and have usually built them from the ground up at great expense, stress and time. Well this time I just bought one already done. Can't stick a "Built not bought" sticker on this one.

Anyway it's not going to win a show and shine medal but it will go most places I point it.

Long arms, twin locked, 35's, regeared, etc. etc. etc.

It's currently getting a new clutch in it, then I will need to get some new rubber for it.

It's currently running internal bead locks on the black "D" rims (1 inner tube is buggered though) but I also got a full set of brand new 15x8 Soft 8's with the purchase, so not sure which rims to put the new rubber on.

This little TJ is just a weekend rig as the heavy lifting and caravan towing duties are taken care of by our LC200, and for that, it does a mighty job.

I will source a set of chromolly rear axles to match the front, then just enjoy driving it

Visitor

Well got the TJ back with a nice new HD Extreme Outback clutch in it, feels really nice now and a much nicer rig to drive. It did have a brass button clutch in it which explains why the clutch was so touchy. Think I need to find a new mechanic though as he hit me pretty hard for a clutch supply and install.

Also found out they didn't replace the rear pinion seal as the yoke has groves worn it. So I'll get an upgraded U bolt yoke kit out of the States and put that in, adjust the pinion angle and go from there.

Looking good mate. What lift is in that? Would like to go long arms in mine, but need to re-gear and lock the diffs first. There's always something
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Visitor

It's a Rubicon Express 4.5" plus a 1 or 1.25" body lift.

Visitor

Installed a hand throttle the other day, very successful little project

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So much easier to drive off road now
    Last edited by Rocket55; 07-11-16 at 06:15 PM.

Visitor

Went for a drive yesterday with Dieselcon aka Jose, you know the guy who invented the "Jose line", which is generally the path less travelled, or for those who prefer "you're going where?..."

well, we had a blast. Got my new to me TJ all twisted up and started to explore some of its capabilities. Looking forward to more trips.

This line made for a good pic.....

Last edited by Rocket55; 07-11-16 at 06:42 PM.

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Looking good, Rod! Watch those Jose lines, though. They're for a special kind of person - somewhere between "slightly deranged" and "fully certifiable".

[Love you Jose!]

Dru'n'Kerry

Visitor

You got that right Dru :-)

We got a bit lucky with Jose's rig as he busted a ball joint on the end of his panhard rod, luckily there was a wrecked TJ over a cliff that we could raid a part off to get him home.

Here's a vid of the day that Jose produced.

https://youtu.be/fG540xrBOLM

Visitor

Was a weapon on the tracks Rod.
    I think you'll have to go give 6 stages a run to find a challenge!

Visitor

Thanks Greg, I'm pretty happy with how it went, still need to tidy a few things up on it to tune it up a bit better, but all in good time.

Jose and the crew are going up 6 stage this weekend but I can't get there, besides I think a rear Uni packed it in on the way home on Saturday so I have to fix that.