Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rocket's TJ

How do you like the rock sliders? I'm thinking of making some and yours look pretty straight forward. Is the other bracket part bolt under the chassis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visitor

They are reasonably light duty, I wouldn't want to land heavily on them, but for general bumps and grinds they are perfectly fine. They just butt up against the chassis and there's another plate that goes on the inside of the chassis then just bolted through above and below the chassis. You can see the 4 other plates leaning against each other in the photo. They seem to do the job effectively.

Visitor

These arrived today, and I'm glad to see them. Means I can put my TJ back together again and get it on the road, just in time too as I have a few trips set up for the next couple of weeks.

Can't thank Brett in Jeep City Canberra enough for getting these bits out of the states and to me in record time, fantastic customer service :-)

Visitor

Bit of maintenance today, replaced a squeaky belt tensioner. Could only get a 2nd hand one at short notice. Looks like it's more worn out than the one it replaces, but it came with 12 months warranty and very easy to replace, so I'll see how it goes.

Then my attention turned to the front wheel bearing. These things turned up today, so no time like the present to throw them in.

Very easy and straight forward job to do. I did find the capillar very stiff to push back, I did remember seeing YouTube videos of people useing g clamps etc to push them back, so with this in mind I did find that an 18mm Kinchrome socket is the perfect spacer and made reinstalling the calliper very straight forward and quick.

Please excuse the lack of pads, this apparently is my next job.

Finished product.

Here's a short video of the bearing that came out of it

https://youtu.be/7XXadfm0ZbU

Visitor

Bit of a cosmetic update this afternoon for my little TJ.

Old lights off and clean up the area behind them, take note of what colour wire does what. Line up your hole saw so as to cut out all the other holes.

Take a deep breath, grab a fresh battery for the drill and rip in. No going back now.

Wire them up and pop them in. If you look closely on the rear bar you'll see the two little Eagle Eye reverse lights on each side.

Off eBay, about $2 each

Nice. I wanted to fit tail lights like yours but I don't have the balls to cut two big holes into the tub lol. It was hard enough drilling four small holes when I fitted the Garvin expedition rack to it lol
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Visitor

Haha I get what you mean, just take a deep breath and go.

Visitor

Latest update to my TJ is a Poison Spyder louvered hood to get a bit of under bonnet heat out and away from everything.

First up take the bonnet off, put on the template on, which was the best quality template I've seen on anything to date. Mark it out and start cutting some sizeable holes through the bonnet.

Paint up the bare metal edges and screw the louvers on. Fitted like a glove and looks pretty smart in my opinion.

It's designed to not cut any of the structural bonnet supports, which is good, one less thing to worry about with the boys.

Now just to get used to the new view.

PS: For those wondering about water getting onto the engine when it rains, my TJ sat out the front for 2 days without the bonnet on including sitting through that big storm we just had, no problems, just turn the key and it started right up.

Visitor

These turned up today

To replace the one I broke last weekend doing this

Visitor

Bit of an update, it's been a while.

First things first I replaced my flasher unit with an LED unit to stop the fast flash caused from the LED rail lights.

Then replace the broken bonnet hold downs, came up good.

After this it was time to replace the front brake pads as they had under 2mm left on them, so while I was at it I thought I'd shout it a new set of rotors as well. Went with DBA slotted rotors and QFM HPX pads. They seem to get great reports and cheap to.

So foolishly I do this on the Friday night prior to a Saturday wheelin trip. The install goes off without a hitch.

All excited at about 10pm Friday night i back it out of the garage and commence the bedding procedure. Great initial bit and was feeling good, then they started to stick and got progressively worse. After some quick googling I find this is pretty common with the plastic pistion callipers. Ended up with the TJ parked out the front with the front brakes locked on at about 50% and me sending a message pulling out of the trip the next day. Super bummed. So jump on the net and order a set of front callipers from Rock Auto for $38US each and with freight this amount to about $200AUD landed here. 4 days later they arrive.

Shortly after the install happens again.

Next issue. The drivers side went as planned. The passenger side calliper had the wrong pistion installed and wouldn't retain the brake pad inside the pistion. The hole was too big. So it got put together anyway as the spring does bugger all anyway. I send RockAuto an email and pics and they respond by telling me to fill out there returns section on the web. So I do and go to bed. Next morning I wake up to an email with a new shipping tracking number for my replacement calliper. About 5 days later it's sitting on my front door step. Can't ask for much more than that, so well done RockAuto. Must install the new caliper soon.

Very happy with the performance of the rotor/pad combination, nice powerfull braking compared to what was in there before.