Thread: Jeep Cherokee KK questions

Default Jeep Cherokee KK questions

Hi All

I had a jeep Tj before and sold it due to lack of space. So I bought a Pajero for more space. I got rid of that and want to buy a Jeep Cherokee KK 2012. The question is, diesel or petrol? What tyre size is max and what rim size can I go down to? And how capable are they off road if I do suspension tyres and so on? What should I look at before buying one? Would just like to learn more about them before I make a decision.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jean05 View Post
    Hi All

I had a jeep Tj before and sold it due to lack of space. So I bought a Pajero for more space. I got rid of that and want to buy a Jeep Cherokee KK 2012. The question is, diesel or petrol? What tyre size is max and what rim size can I go down to? And how capable are they off road if I do suspension tyres and so on? What should I look at before buying one? Would just like to learn more about them before I make a decision.

Cheers
    Wow, tricky questions.

I don't think that anyone in the club has a KK!

I have a KJ, the model before the KK, with 16 inch wheels that take a maximum size tyre 245.75R16. Any bigger requires an offset to stop wheel rub on the sway bar. I do not know if the KK is the same, but it may be with its IFS.

I have a 2 inch lift, which was also needed to accommodate the 245.70 tyres. Another KJ driver I know did go bigger tyres with new wheels with an offset, but he put in a 3 inch lift, then needed to alter the drivetrain (double cardan joints) to allow for the increased angles.

As to what to buy, it depends what you want to do. I have a diesel as I prefer touring and you go further on a tank without needing to carry as many jerry cans. The KK and KJ are also not big cars so you cant get a lot of stuff in them as well as jerry cans... It is a capable tourer, but the IFS limits its ground clearance and wheel travel, so not great in big ruts and on big rocks. I've had my KJ for over 11 years now and am looking to trade up to a Grand Cherokee next year. Not going to the new KL Cherokee!

Not sure if any of that helps,

Dave

Hi mate, thanks. Make sence. I think I might need to look at the wrangler JK. I like more extreme stuff.

You can't get a lot of aftermarket gear for the KK and the ground clearance leaves a lot to be desired. Also, I do roadside assistance and I've come to the conclusion through talking to the owners of KK's that they were a bit of a problematic model for Jeep. The KJ's on the other hand, while they look similar seem to be near bullet proof. I look after a v6 KJ for a neighbor of mine (and they tend to drive their cars into the ground). It's got close to 250000km's on it and still going strong. They drive to northern nsw many times a year. If you're looking for more extreme stuff I would recommend the JK.
    I too have a TJ and love the car, but it's just so impractical. Am going for a short break up north next month and am still tring to figure out how to fit my wife, daughter and luggage into it. Should of probably thought about that before I sold my Grand Cherokee :-/
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by jean05 View Post
    Hi mate, thanks. Make sence. I think I might need to look at the wrangler JK. I like more extreme stuff.
    Yep! Jeep + Extreme = JK (and possibly a Rubicon)

Happy hunting!

Dave

4WD Association Delegate

I had a KK after my KJ both diesel, the auto box in the KK is a big improvement over the one in the KJ, engine has the same tune as the last of the KJs.
    When I got my limited the sport had 16" wheels which I had mine swapped fore and they can run 245 70 x 16 with no lift. The later sport had 17" wheels so I am not sure if they changed the caliper size on the later ones so 16" may not fit.
    Barry

Thanks all. If all goes well. I will try and get a new JK.