Thread: Need advice on having my TJ engineered

Default Need advice on having my TJ engineered

Ok, so given all the defect notices I'm seeing on Facebook at the moment, I'm getting a little paranoid about driving my TJ. Just wanted to know which engineers are Jeepers going to in the Sydney area, how expensive is the process, and will I be able to get a TJ with 4" lift and 33's engineered in NSW?
    I
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Visitor

Hay mate , best person
    To call is johnathon from young engineering in Windsor , he has done my car and a lot of my customers cars .! Tell
    Him Sam from
    Hills 4x4 sent you and he will sort you out ..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hills4x4 View Post
    Hay mate , best person
    To call is johnathon from young engineering in Windsor , he has done my car and a lot of my customers cars .! Tell
    Him Sam from
    Hills 4x4 sent you and he will sort you out ..!

Thanks Sam. I couldn't help but laugh because Windsor is precisely the place everybody seems to get defected lol. I know for a fact the car won't pass straight away, but if he can advise on what I'll need to do to get it engineered, I'll have to let the credit card take a hit and get it sorted. Then I just have to find a way to tell my wife :-/

Visitor

Hahahah yeah I have had the police is Windsor have a stab at me before and I'm engineered , yeah that's not a problem he can inspect the car and let you know what he wants done or changed and move forward from there !!

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

First step is a consult. It doesnt cost much and they will let you know what your chances are. And dont defect your truck
    If unimpressed on your way out from the consult.

My suggestion is to do it in conjunction with a knowlegeable mechanic.

If Jonathan cant get your truck certified, he'll know what needs to be done. With a good mechanic in tow its a given. Jon actually wants to pass your truck. But he's not going to re-engineer it for you to do it. So have a mechanic working with you. Preferably one with a working relationship with Jon.

Sam and Jon...worked for me.

Dru'n'Kerry
    These days fully legal

Make sure:
    - Full tyre coverage,
    - Mudflaps at the rear,
    - Speedo correct,
    - Nothing overly bodgy....
    And it should be relatively straight forward.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I am a licensed mechanic (although semi retired into roadside assistance) and I do all my own work. That's how I know straight up it won't pass lol. In it's current set up it has full tyre coverage, and the speedo is correct (because that's a pet hate of mine), but the shock absorbers are on their last legs, the 2.5" springs are sagging and I highly doubt the 2" spring spacers will pass engineering. In the coming weeks I'm going to book a bay in one of our workshops and get it up on the hoist. Will be removing the springs and shocks and measuring for bumpstops. Hopefully by that stage I will have sourced a new set of Bilsteins to go into it. After that I'll need to source some new springs. Have no idea what yet. Have heard good things about Teraflex. After that is when I would want to take it in to get a consult on it. At the moment it's still running all the original control arms. I'm hoping that won't affect the outcome of the engineering decision, as while I'd like to replace them with adjustables, they're just out of my budget at this stage. In it's current form, I'm actually a little too embarressed to take it in for a consult.

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Wouldnt worry about being embarrassed. These guys are cool and will be happy to talk it through. As a mechanic you should get heaps out pf a consult with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elio S View Post
    Thanks guys, I am a licensed mechanic (although semi retired into roadside assistance) and I do all my own work. That's how I know straight up it won't pass lol. In it's current set up it has full tyre coverage, and the speedo is correct (because that's a pet hate of mine), but the shock absorbers are on their last legs, the 2.5" springs are sagging and I highly doubt the 2" spring spacers will pass engineering. In the coming weeks I'm going to book a bay in one of our workshops and get it up on the hoist. Will be removing the springs and shocks and measuring for bumpstops. Hopefully by that stage I will have sourced a new set of Bilsteins to go into it. After that I'll need to source some new springs. Have no idea what yet. Have heard good things about Teraflex. After that is when I would want to take it in to get a consult on it. At the moment it's still running all the original control arms. I'm hoping that won't affect the outcome of the engineering decision, as while I'd like to replace them with adjustables, they're just out of my budget at this stage. In it's current form, I'm actually a little too embarressed to take it in for a consult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Wouldnt worry about being embarrassed. These guys are cool and will be happy to talk it through. As a mechanic you should get heaps out pf a consult with them.
    Agreed with Dru,

Just go & have a chat with Sam (Hills 4x4 & Club Member) who works in with Jon a lot & can give you the right advise. Or talk straight to Jono. Great bloke & he's seen some of my greatest work over the years......
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Thanks Dru & Hunno