Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Lake Lyell: Saturday, 12th November 2016

Hi guys,

Here is the trip report. Due to high demand thanks to Steve F we ended up running two groups on this track. We ran almost the same tracks but in a different order so we don't have too many cars waiting at the same obstacle. The two groups were as under.

Group 1: Trip leader Mani

1. Mani @ Trbn8r
    2. Will @ Will98
    3. Dru & Kerry @ Dru
    4. Greg @ KegsyJK
    5. Rahul @ Agarwal_Rahul
    6. Rod @ Rocket55
    7. Andrew @ Snoik

Group 2: Trip leader Steve F

1. Steve F
    2. Steve & Hayley @ Jeep11
    3. Rupert @ Rupicon
    4. Nick @ Mohawk
    5. SteveC and Lisa @ SteveX
    6. Khaled @ John Silver
    7. Steven Boyd

Trip Report: Group 1

We met up as planned at the Bowenfels Servo at 0900. We had usual exchange of pleasantries, coffee, chasing up autographs from trip participants etc..... We left the servo for Rydal about 0935. We aired down and disconnected at Rydal. Group 1 was given a headstart of about 10 minutes so we don't clog up the tracks. Group 1 headed towards the quarry via the Jambo test track. We came across some nice climbs and steep descents to keep us busy. First major obstacle was the Blackberry Hill (I have named it so because of the Blackberry bushes at the bottom of the hill). Some of us took the medium difficulty route whereas Dru, Greg, Will and Rod attempted the hard rutted out approach. Out of the four who attempted only Rod in his TJ succeeded. We found that due to the massive rain the night before there was a lot of moisture as soon as we broke the top the shaly gravel. So we had a bit of difficulty finding traction if we were not on hard rock. We did the Blackberry Hill and moved onto the quarry. We all had a bit of a play and then looped the quarry to do the rut at the back of it. We then drove along the river doing some light moderate obstacles on the way to The Powerlines climb. I attempted first and followed my usual line but for some reason ended up slipping off the rock and crossed up on the ruts with front and rear wheels in different ruts. With Kerry's help I tried getting myself out but everytime I tried I ended up in the same situation, side ways on a climb. So I asked Dru to bypass me and snatch me out of the precarious position I had driven into. It worked well and every one else drove through without much problems. Once we got to the top we decided to give the second part of the powerlines a miss due to the wetness on the tracks.W e turned toward the Cox's River crossing. The river was way higher than normal indicating heavy rain last night, but we made it across the river with no incidents. We drove to the Unimog Hill. Dru, Will and Greg gave it a go but finding traction was a bit hard so we drove to Mount Walker. We met Group 2 there and had lunch. Will, Rod and Dru drove up using the hardest lines without any problems. We moved after lunch and ended up doing another river Crossinga and a loop and climbing down the Powerlines stage 2. We then drove taking a moderate route to the Jambo Test Track and caught up with group 2. Some guys played around at the test track while the rest aired up. After everyone had their fun we left for home about 1600.

Happy to report no damage of any sort to any Jeep.

Cheers
    Mani

PS: Guys if you have any pics or videos etc can you please upload them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TRBN8R; 13-11-16 at 04:07 PM.

Nice report Mani, here's a quick one from Group A (formally known as Group 2 )

We let group 1 get a head start on us as we all planned to head out of the showground via the track at the back that goes straight into the state forest. We did the first decent with no issues and then hit the climb up, Khaled got caught up for a minute but with some guidance got on a good line and was away again. I caught a glimpse of the TEC of group 1 as I parked a the top of the climb while we regrouped.

From there we headed towards the usual route to the top of the powerlines but turned off to the right and went down a track (3 options) that took us to the bottom of the powerline track. Last time I did that one was at Jambo so it's been a while. Again the powerlines didnt cause us much trouble although Khaled had some trouble with the ruts near the bottom on the right hand side so we ran the winch out, a couple of meters of winching and he was through.

Once we got to the top we went straight over and down the side and then up another steep climb, this one has a right hand offcamber at the bottom and is loose most fo the way up but all did it with no issues, we turned right at the fence line at the top (although all the fencing wire has gone) and headed down to the standard water crossing. I made a cursory check of the depth with a stick but it didn't really tell me much so I went for it, the water was certainly up and the exit looked like it might be blocked with debris, all was good though.

From there we went on past Unimog hile and made our way around to Mt Walker, Steve Boyd and Roop did the bottom half while the rent around to the middle section for lunch. After lunch Steve, Roop and Nick did the top section, headed back down and we looped to the right at the bottom of Mt Walker. From here we made our way back to another creek crossing, went though that and back to the top of the power lines climb. We went back doen the powerlines and then up a short climb back to the main trail that headed back to the showground.

There was a side track on my GPS that cut the corner off via a gully so we gave it a go but on the climb up there was a tree down, rather than muck about with it we back tracked and followed the route out that we came in on.

Back at the showground we played on the onsite track for a bit, aired up and headed off, sounds like Group 1 got there while some were still packing up. Great day, no breakages and nothing to hard, worked out well.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Thanks Mani, it was a great trip, had lots of fun all day. Also thanks to Dru and Kerry for help and guidance all day, cheers Rahul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep11 View Post
    Hey Guys, Great day out, and we covered some good climbs. Thank you for a great day.
    Steve and Hayley
    Hey HAYLEY come on the Airlie trip xo -Pam

awesome day out, good tracks, good guide, good people, kids had a fun day out, although my eldest boy wouldn't go up the power lines hill, he got out and walked up to where mani was while I drove up, with a bit of difficulty, then he got a lift the rest of the way up with mani before getting back in with me, maybe he doesn't like my driving?
    look forward to the next trip.
    Thanks all
    Snoik

Visitor

Thanks Ladies & Gents; a top day out. Lake Lyell is always a great wheeling spot.
    We were wrapped with how the weather turned out, though I did end up with the old red trucker arm.

got a few pics, not sure how to upload the them though??

Quote Originally Posted by snoik View Post
    got a few pics, not sure how to upload the them though??
    If you have them on the phone then just use Tapatalk... Easiest way to upload....

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRBN8R View Post
    If you have them on the phone then just use Tapatalk... Easiest way to upload....

Or you need to up,oad them to a storage site like photobucket or image shavk. Then click the photo icon and copy in the url.

I've only got a poverty phone, can't take photo's on it, photo's were take with a camera, and are now on my PC, I'll try to upload to a storage site??