Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic sway bar disconnect. Fix?

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Electronic sway bar disconnect. Fix?

So we have suffered the dreaded fail to the Rubicon disconnect system. Jeep have refused warranty on the basis that the suspension is modded. Somewhat predictable. Looking for a Plan A that retains electronic disconnect so I'm Looking for opinions on this.

http://monkeysmancave.com/jeep-rubic...ay-bar-part-1/

http://monkeysmancave.com/aam-smartbar-swaybar-part-2/

Yes my first step will be pulling it apart, cleaning and regreasing the mechanical components, and checking electrical connections, but I do expect that the the non-waterproof chip is fried in a mud bath.

Presuming that this chip replace is worthwhile, does anyone want to order one with us? The first batch are sold, so we'd be asking him to run some more.

Dru'n'Kerry

Dru

That's bad luck. If the fix fails, you could always revert to the manual disconnects. The JKS ones I use were easy to install, and other than getting a bit muddy at the start or end of a trip go on or off easily enough

They say that some Rubicon owners fit them anyway as they, allegedly, give more travel than the electronic one that comes standard.

Adrian

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yep. Mechanical disconnects are our last resort.

Disconnect/swaybar is currently in pieces on the footpath. Gotta love living in the inner city. TBH the mechanical internals were no way as bad as I had expected. So I'm guessing its a chip fail. Damn.

first trick is getting it all back together.

http://www.doubleblackoffroad.com/je...ndle---JK.aspx

Convert it to manual and never worry again....

Cheers Mani, that was on the list of possible fixes.

On the presumption is actually fixed (and we really think it is), we'll just break it down, clean it up, and re-grease every 12 months. Might still buy one of those replacement chips just to have it in the spares bin.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by TRBN8R View Post
    http://www.doubleblackoffroad.com/je...ndle---JK.aspx

Convert it to manual and never worry again....

Not quite - the mechanism still gets full of crap and needs to be serviced / cleaned out

Hey Dru,

Sorry to hear about your disconnect. ATV was actually able to get ours working again after our last outing, by cleaning and greasing the mechanism when we took the jeep in for that problem and a pink slip.

That said, we're worried the cleaning is only a temporary solution, and would definitely join you in ordering one of those boards.

Cheers,
    Nick

Cheers Nick. We seem to be operational. Just a clean and lube to the mechanical section. Not technically complex.

The electronic section looks pretty clean at the pins. The side where the cables terminate is fully open to mud, but the otherside clean. We didnt open the section with the chip in it. While its obvious there is no IP rating ( ingress protection, standard for how waterproof electrics are) it doesnt look to bad to me. We will look at some form of additional protection to the join, water proof calking, silicon, I dont know what. Something.

I'll contact the monkeys man cave bloke and see about ordering a chip. Nice that someone has done something. I suspect it wont connect neatly back to the dash warning lights in the Rubicon, but does look like a workable solution.

will report back after todays trail shake down.

Looks like they can be ordered from the doogielabs place mentioned in your second link above.

It'd be pretty awesome if the dash lights continued to represent the disconnect's status, but if not, a ProCal could hide that indicator.

[emoji482]

Confirmed! All fixed! Look at that - Dru'n'Kerry fixed something.