Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killie Loop 1.10.16

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Killie Loop 1.10.16

Not going to Bendigo for the 75th anniversary of Jeep? Feeling jealous of Dave and his desert trip? Want something to do?? It is a long weekend after all - let's play!

Description:

"The Killingworth Loop" has featured quite a bit recently on various internet and Utube reports. We ran it recently with the AWDC and it is a little ball of a trip! Roughly 12km of low range technical fun. There are plenty of play areas and some powerlines. Like the Watagans a little further south, it's a high rainfall area and you simply can not avoid all the bog holes. The track is largely clay with sections of rock crawling. You will get muddy.

So it's a chance to start late, spend some time in intense fun, hopefully head out early.

There are occassional chicken runs but not everywhere. There are challenging obstacles that cant be avoided. Our run through this trip was with Pajero's, Cruisers, Patrols - there were plenty of recoveries! Before we laugh too much, our JK also needed to winch on one bog that was a touch deeper than anticipated. (Kerry rolls eyes and mutters something about Dru and mud.) Recoveries started at the motorway bypass, before we had even started the loop! Did I mention that it is a fun little track?

Where: ​ Starts from the little town of ​Killingworth. It's about 90 mins drive north up the M1.

When: 1st October - that's the Saturday of the long weekend.

Meet: We will meet up at the Twin Servo's F3 Northbound (past the Wyong turn off on the left). In the Macca's carpark. Will attach a map later.

Time: 9:30 - please be fueled and fed, ready to roll

Grade: This one is the softer side of B grade. Call it C++ if you must. It's a good trip if you want a chance to test some technical stuff a bit more than C+. Damage is a possibility if you do something silly. If you have been thinking about the true B grades (Airlie, Spanish Steps, Tree Root etc) but want some experience first - this is PERFECT.

Requirements: You will not be able to avoid all the bog holes, diff breathers are a must if you value your diffs. There is some lovely rock crawling with steps, rock rails are a must if you value your Jeep. First aid. Recovery points Front/Rear. Recovery gear - the chance that we won't need a snatch at some point on this trip is pretty remote. Be ready for it. Radio.

Recommendations: We try not to dictate too much in terms of mods (unless the grading is on the heavier side of B). Stock Jeeps can probably handle this trip, but there are too many spots with no chicken runs, so it just isnt recommended. Stock is not prohibited (but you have been warned). The following are definitely going to be an advantage: 2" lift. 31" on TJ, 33" JK. Off road tires will handle the bogs better. Good chance you can test that winch in anger.

Numbers: 8 including leader.

Contact Info: Dru Spork M 0419 855 121

Attending:

1. dru: Dru'n'Kerry; JK
    2. Mohawk: Nick and Pam; JK
    Last edited by Dru; 30-09-16 at 07:38 PM.

Some pics from Killingworth Loop

I'm keen

Ian W.

Visitor

Hopefully I can get my Jeep back and get the steering sorted in time for this one. I guess the race is on now.

Found AllOffroad's video of this track: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zCJvYx3xwGQ
    That was shot last February, so it won't be nearly as dry.

Count me in

We went round this direction.

https://youtu.be/RTSemmF9BVM

Have to say, re-watching these videos that you'd have to grade the loop a solid B Grade. Ball of fun anyway. We got close to a roll at one point doing a "Jose line"* on some rock crawling.

Dru'n'Kerry

* "Jose Line": Standard SJC dictionary definition - "When your innate desire for Jeep fun completely over-rides your higher brain function's natural inclination for self preservation."
    Last edited by Dru; 22-09-16 at 12:03 AM.

Just giving this thread a bump. Looks like everyone has plans for the long weekend. But if not, there is plenty of space on this trip.

Dru'n'Kerry

Next time for sure, looks like a great track

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Dru, afraid I am going to have to give this one a miss.
    I haven't been able to fix my oil pick-up problem yet on the Flatfender when at a steep angle. looking at the videos there are a number of places where my oil light will be on and pressure gauge reading zero: - not good!
    My apologies
    Ian W.

All good, Ian. Could be something of a quiet day. But still on a track that is just a whale of a time.

Catch up next time.

Dru'n'Kerry