Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watagans C Grade 22-10-16

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Watagans C Grade 22-10-16

EDIT:​ We can't avoid branches on this one. We do avoid the known overgrown tracks like "Borneo" (our name, I'm sure you can guess why). And we avoid all the bog hole "challenge" tracks. But you can't avoid mud at the Watagans. We remain completely comfortable that stock jeeps are completely comfortably fine for this trip.

Here is a novelty - Dru'n'Kerry doing a C grade! What is the world coming to!! It is a bit of a "what is where" tour of the Watagans with a focus on the day on easy cruising to pretty spots. We also cruise past some more challenging tracks. If you want to find out where they are, this trip may help!

General: Consider this an introduction to the main access routes through the 4WD playground north of Sydney. Depending on how the itinerary works out we may have a bit of a look at the viewing point at Muirs Trig and Burma Road (hold on to the kids!), find our way through the back end of Farrels (now with broken bridge diversion), and maybe spend a break at Wave Rock. The spot at wave rock we have dubbed "Staghorn Gully" for obvious reasons - we met Lyrebirds here on our last visit - and a goshawk this time. Many parts of the Watagans have bell birds - think about dropping the roof if the weather is good.

Note, the wet weather and trail damage reported out west isn't replicated in this area. The main trails are graded but rarely, corrugations are not comfortable so you will want to air down. Update - if anything the bogs and puddles are as low as we have ever seen them. Great time to visit the Watagans.

Where: Wattagans

When:
    Saturday 22nd October 2016

Meet:
    M1 Motorway services travelling North, just past Wyong. On Google it's called F3 Wyong North bound (Twin Servos). There is a Macca and a healthy fast food as well.

Time:
    8:00 am for 8:30 departure. Please be fueled and fed.

Grade:
    C Grade - easy.

Generally graded trails. Most of the route on our Navigation tool shows speeds of 20 km/h. Not a lot of low range though we might add a couple of "off piste" alternates - just because we can. Generally the track conditions are similar to Black Fellows Hand Trail in Newnes.

The Watagans are famous for mud. Not much I can do about that but we are carefully avoiding all known bog hole challenges, I just can't guarantee you wont need to wash your Jeep afterwards. Likewise for overgrown scratchy bushes - we are avoiding all known scratchy tracks, just can't guarantee it. Wave Rock entry may have some small wet spots and some branches, still C grade and definitely worth it.

Requirements: Radio, food/drink of choice, camera. Full fuel tank. If you have recovery gear please pack it - no need to race out and purchase if you don't have any yet. Stock jeeps are fine.

This run is limited to: 10 as a guide. The turn around on the Wave Rock entry is tight otherwise numbers should not be an issue.

Attending:

1. dru: Dru'n'Kerry: JK
    2. richhenning: Rich: JKU
    3. dobbo56: Doggy Dave: JK
    4. atto: Wayne & Julie
    5. jaden124: Jaden, JK
    6. technickster: Nick: TJ
    7. Flatfender: Ian: Willies classic
    8. Argawal-rahul: Rahul: JKU

Reserve list: none, tails over to a second trip on 29.10.16

Last edited by Dru; 21-10-16 at 04:02 PM.

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Some pics from "Staghorn Gully"

Last edited by Dru; 09-10-16 at 12:28 PM.

Put me down

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

At this stage put me down

Secretary

Please put me on the list, cheers

Visitor

Hi Dru n. Kerry, please put me down for this trip. Its been quite a while since I've been.able to get out on the trail. Would love to bring my new companion, if her recent medical procedure has healed her stomach problem.

Cheers Rob

I, also would like to tag along, so please pop me on the list. Cheers Doggy.

Ooops take me off, just been reminded I am off to Monster Jam that day

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Please add us to the list we would like to join you.
    Wayne & Julie Atto - WK2

Visitor

Please add me to the list as well. Would be awesome to come and introduce myself [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk